Saturday, November 22, 2008

Saturday

Today Scott and I rode in the "El Tour de Tucson". It was SOOOO fun! I am very new to events and wasn't sure how I would feel today as I have not been riding my bike much lately. But wow- I am hooked. Riding on the road with all these people, passing tons of them, trying to hold onto others.... it was a blast! The old San Francisco driving monster in me surfaced and I was in major maneuvering mode trying to zip around everyone. At one part we had to carry our bikes through a dry river bed area (in the pic). We got sand in our shoes and all gritty- great fun. Scott and I did separate distances, him 109 miles and me 66. We came with some friends of ours who did the same thing so Michelle was my riding buddy today. After those 45 or so miles I was starting to get tired. But I realized that the faster I kept going, the faster I would finish. And finish I did! I haven't checked my official results yet but I think I technically did it in about 4 hours. I am, of course, being generous because there was the long walk through the river bed and a rest stop or two for a quick bite, so I knocked off 20 minutes, but hey! Not bad for a rookie.... at least, I hope it's not too pathetic.

Now I have to take a minute here and give major props to many of my friends who have ridden MUCH longer than this MANY times a year. I was tired at the end of my wee 66 mile ride. I was sore, I wanted food, I was done. But Seriously? Lotoja!? 206 MILES??!? Sitting on a bike for 9+hours!?? I have such a humble respect for that pain management. That has to require super mental powers that I don't possess. Alison! Tiffany! Cori! Erica! Heather! And not to mention all the guys (who don't read this blog so it doesn't matter anyway) that do it every year.... just amazing. Today's ride is mostly flat, had great weather, etc.... but others have huge, huge climbs, big temperature differences and more competition. So I honor you on my silly, little blog tonight. You are inspirational!


So with my day mostly consumed with this race, my Thankfuls relate to these doings.
Today I was really, really grateful for:
1) Sunblock!
2) Sunglasses!
3) Safety- No wrecks, no flat tires
4) Smart cyclists- people who have experience and stay on the right side of the road, know where to look when passing, warn you of road debris, etc....
5) People with good attitudes. I don't care if you are waiting in line at Disneyland or at the bank.. I appreciate it when others are courteous and respectful. It is contagious.
6) Um... bikes again! They are infectiously happy toys. Everyone should have one. :)


3 comments:

Bryan Crew said...

Yeah for you! 66 miles is a lot! It all comes in baby steps. And you are right, there is something about mental power! Thanks for having such an upbeat blog. I love that you have so much to write about. I don't get beyond kid pictures and stories. Thanks for rubbing it in that I'm not creative! :)

christian zimbelman said...

I did that race when i was like 11 years old!! it was only like 35 miles, not quite 66.. but still good, and i think my dad was placed in the top ten around the time i was born!! good job you guys.

Jessica said...

When are you coming to Utah again? I want to ride my bike with you!