Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday

Been an interesting day. I received a call from my Mom (and sister) that my Grandfather was admitted to the hospital yesterday. He passed away this afternoon. Both of my fathers parents have been actively involved in things, getting around and being busy but the past few years they have slowed down with age. They are so fun and witty, even still... but we all knew my Grandfather's time would probably come soon. As much as we'll miss him, I can't help but be happy for him now. He lived a wonderful accomplished and amazing life and how nice it was that he could go so peacefully. I grew up picking apples in their orchard, cherries from their trees, playing volleyball with cousins in the tall tree-enclosed back yard... his funny jokes, wisdom and advice. I feel honored to be his granddaughter and privileged to be a Patch.

My five for today:

1) My family. I love my parents and my siblings! I hope my own family can have similar relationships when they are grown.
2) I never, ever thought I would say this... so I am whispering it. Twins. There are moments, fleeting spots of glee along the way that do force me to accept that... hey, twins are pretty fun. Hearing them laugh in the slide today at the park was one of them. I couldn't help but giggle on the park bench.
3) Friends that know me well enough to help me out, especially because I'm not good at asking.
4) My voice. No, I still don't have it yet and I was way wrong- it's far from some hot Amy Winehouse... now I just sound like some honking duck.
5) Kind of goes with #5, but I am grateful for my sister. She is SO so so so funny and had me laughing so hard today giving me her Twilight review. She just 'gets' things and it's priceless. Big loves, sis. You are awesome.

4 comments:

Jewels said...

And hugs back! I love you tremendously...great tribute, PS. You said it perfectly.

Tayva said...

Oh, hon---what a fun photo and wonderful memories of grandad! How I loved all your 'thanks'---and love you, too. XO

Jeannine said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa, hope you're doing okay, let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Hey PS, I'm thankful for your twins too.

La La Land said...

Well hello my long lost friend! You will never believe me, but just about two weeks ago I saw Morag and we were talking about you. I told her that I hadn't talked to you in over 10 years. Were your ears ringing? Anyway, great to reconnect! Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. It's so hard to loose grandparents.

I hope you are well and that we can keep in touch. Your kids are adorable!