Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Zoo Escape and more news

Luke is a meticulous player. It is not uncommon for me to find him mesmerized for 20-3o minutes occupying himself with something like stringing beads onto twine. These are good activities unless it's something like removing all the paper from the crayons. Yeah, have fun picking THAT up after being tracked all over the house...
But most of the time it is good and I enjoy stumbling upon the fruits of his labors. Case in point- Today he arranged his animals around the Thomas track we set up the other day. I thought it looked funny to see the chaos in the town. What would the passengers do seeing this from their cabin window?

Other fun news, my sister in law went into labor today. We will have another new baby boy in the family within hours! This is Marty and Jessica's first. I am so excited for them.



So lately I have been enjoying "fries" with the kids using pre-cut sweet potatoes. They have them in small bags at Trader Joes. Lately they have had HUGE bags of them at Costco. Lucky me! They are super yummy and good for yeh.
Put the amount you want in a large bowl, add some olive oil, kosher salt and Spike seasoning (Whole Foods). Mix to coat evenly. If you want a little more flava-flave, add some Lawry's seasoning salt. Spread on a cookie sheet lined with foil (hello?! easy clean up!) sprayed with cooking spray and broil about 10-15 minutes. Take out when golden brown, flip over what you can (some are stubborn so don't waste your time turning individual fries over... you have better things to do) and put back in for another 5 or so minutes, or until toasty.
Remove from oven and serve. I am no food photographer, but I hope this image gives you an idea of their tantalizing tastiness. Try some today for a better tomorrow! :)

And I know better, but I couldn't resist sharing a fun baking craft. I have wanted to try this for years and finally whipped out the meringue bones recipe from Martha. I say I know better because I am revealing part of my food contribution for our Halloween party on Friday. I should be saving it for the surprise but couldn't resist! Successes must be shared.
So- if you think I am just serving bones, think again. You'll have to wait and see. But I must say, they are trés cool all by themselves. I started to have fun making fingers and others things. Pretty groovy, yes?!

4 comments:

Emily said...

So much to comment on! First of all Luke is the cutest. Second, I just got back from Trader Joes and Costco and wish I would have read this prior, those look so good. Thirdly, the bones, really now. I am so impressed and am also feeling very inadequate.

Jewels said...

I'm with Emily - gobba gobba gobba gobba, too much dahling, too much! And my sweet, dear Emily - feeling inadequate? Welcome to my world.

JENNIE! said...

oh wow, those bones are so cool!..and I can't wait to try those sweet potato fries, those look SO tasty.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

your bones are so much cooler than martha's. kudos. i can't wait to try this!