Monday, October 8, 2007

Whatever you do, don't think "Marc Jacobs"

Watch out. Deep thoughts a brewin. This is my first provoking post!
I came across a study mentioned in an article the other day....
Pause- doesn't that sound so unlike me? I mean, that could be construed to imply it was whilst reading my daily Wall Street as I sipped on organic herbal tea and whole grain crumpets. Ha! That is ridiculous... I do that with soy steamers.... sheesh... herbal tea.....(teehee)-
As I was saying before I so rudely interrupted myself:
A psychology study found that those who exercise mental self-restraint, such as when dieting, are more likely to make impulse purchases.
Participants in the study were instructed to write down their thoughts, with some told to avoid thinking about a white bear.
Then, they all received the same amount of money to spend in a store. Those who were asked to control their thoughts spent more than three times as much than the uncontrolled group. The study authors theorize that self-control is a limited resource, and that it can be depleted by great efforts of willpower, such as starting a new diet.
So, this is me. I have been trying to identify this gene in my personality for years and now it's a proven behavior! Once I try to discipline myself with rules of restriction, I have a much harder time trying to stay in the 'contained area'. I try to be wise and make good choices on my own and use that behavior to represent ME.
It's an interesting thought process: If I decide to eat more veggies for good reasons, then I am better at doing it. If I decide to do out of guilt then watch out Betty Crocker because I am about to make some super-fattening oatmeal cookie dough...
Not to say that discipline is a bad thing. It is a wonderful thing- it's the difference between true artwork and a big grey canvas. But don't you want your masterpiece to be a window to who you are? Not limited to what is expected of you?
So I guess the next challenge is to examine the true reason that drives us to do things.
I, personally, am driven to work out so I can eat the whole batch of cookie dough. That counts, right?! :)

2 comments:

anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anna said...

NOW it all makes sense! and i can rationalize every purchase made while dieting...the "diet" made made me do it. i deserve it!