Monday, October 29, 2007

More Weekend Ketchup

Saturday was our ward Trunk or Treat party.
Our RS Presidency was put in charge again at the last minute, so we had been working all week to pull it together. It went off well enough, but I knew I'd need a reward. A few days before, I made post trunk-or-treat plans with some friends. We did this last year and it's working out to be a good tradition.
The night consisted of eating chili and too much cornbread, then out to the car to get it all decorated.
I know, I am a nerd. But I am having fun and I am apparently a novice because some people do super cool stuff to their cars! Next year....
At least I ran out and got one of those groovy outlet things for your cigarette lighters and plugged in some lights. We had the music going and aw yeah- our post was hoppin', yo.
Scott manned the car while I took the kids around. Luke was so funny- any time he got one little treat in his bag, he would jump and laugh. The free sugar from just saying "Trick or Treat" was too much for him. And while we would laugh at Luke, Sadie would come in at the pass and swipe a handful like a fox!
That girl is too smart for her own good. She seriously had the heaviest bag when we were done.
When we finished the rounds, they sat in the car and had a few.
I never got any great photos of them in their costumes- but that is fine. I am saving that for Halloween night! Of course, they will probably be so sick of dressing up by then that they may look like this anyway. Anyway, it was good fun. We got home and they went right to bed. Then we were off to the movies to see Dan in Real Life. Who else has seen this? I liked it. It was funny and not too annoying and kept me thinking for a few days. I would recommend it.
And lastly, made some of my Mom's Coconut Veggie soup recipe. Well, it's not her recipe, but I got it from her and have kept to her modifications and it's SOOOO good. It has a little Thai vibe with the coconut milk. Super good for you, loaded with veggies, so feed your faces my friends... because you can.
Recipe to follow below.
Hope everyone had a great weekend! Halloween in two days. Then I will have to retire my awesome coffin banner. Any suggestions for a Thanksgiving theme? Should I make a big turkey or tacky cornucopia? Suggest away.


Coconut Vegetable Soup

2 cups water
2 Tbs mushroom boullion
8 oz chopped mushrooms
1 large potato, diced
3 large carrots, sliced
1 onion, chopped (serve with Trident or use half like me)
2 medium zucchini or yellow squash, diced
1/2 lb. frozen corn
1/2 lb. frozen peas
1 cup cooked rice (I use the pre-cooked frozen brown rice from Trader Joes and drop in a bag)
1 can of beans (white, red, black, etc.) drained and rinsed
2 cans coconut milk
1-2 Tbs. pure maple syrup, honey or brown sugar (I use honey)
1/2 tsp. curry
1/4 tsp. tumeric

Add all ingredients to pot except peas, rice and beans and heat until vegetables are tender.
Add remaining ingredients. Cook until heated through. Serve.
(This all takes about 20-25 minutes. Nice and fast!)

4 comments:

Jewels said...

So fun! Your Trunk or Treat looks tons funner that ours. can't wait to see the kiddies in their costumes on Halloweenis! I think I'm going to post that soup recipe on my fitness blog...mmm, so tasty!

anna said...

the soup sounds super delish! i will try soon! and thanks for the trunk-or-treat highlights. such cutie pie kiddos! i think i will wait you for your halloween night pics. can't wait to see your costumes! p.s. thanks for the advice on my blog. i needed that

Emily said...

I don't see how you can call yourself a novice! Your car looked great. Thanks for another great recipe! I my suggestion for your banner is wheat stalks.?

JENNIE! said...

That recipe looks so good, I can't wait to try it! ... I am in need of some Thanksgiving decor ideas too. I was thinking of the corn husk wreath from Martha Stewart... we'll see if I ever get to it.:)