Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Start of 2K8

Well, the re-entry to real life has started off with a bang.
Monday and yesterday were full of clean up. Don't you love that feeling of a bare house after you take down holiday stuff? I also notice how full it made my house feel. Oh well. I have gone this long without finishing decorating the rooms, what's another year! It feels good to have that extra clutter away so I can focus on eliminating stuff. A new year encourages purging, yes? Esp. when you are putting new Christmas away and toy cubbies are busting at the seams....
Being home was a nice change so Scott and I took advantage of it and stayed home all day. The kids were happy to be back playing with old things so it kept them occupied. That night we had our Leaver holiday get-together and had a New Years/Christmas night in one.
It was so fun. I can enjoy these things more and more as the kids are old enough to occupy themselves (twin babies didn't give me much time to socialize at past holiday parties). Scott's parents, sister Amy and her husband Fritz and us were the attendees. We had a yummy dinner, fun table conversation, opened presents and watched 'Stardust'. We didn't leave until 11pm. Did we go home and stay up to watch fireworks? Are you kidding? We're not that fun and we went to bed. OK- I didn't go to bed and painted my fingernails... but I could hear the fireworks. Does that count? As usual, there were too many presents under the tree. But that is what makes Christmas fun, right!? We set up a little circle around the tree and had the kids start off. Oh, they knew what to do after last week. I am always impressed with what MJ gives. She thinks! Her gifts are always considered and purposeful. Case in point. Check out Sadie's hat. It was with a cute little outfit MJ gave her and I figured it came from the store.
No.
She made it.
MADE it! I'm a crafty person. I should try to make my gifts. I don't know how she had the time to make something, let alone KNIT something. So cute and Sadie loves it.
We all had a great time. Being together is always fun.
And Stardust? Have you seen? I liked it. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Men really need to wear boots and low waisted belts again. I mean, I am telling you... wow. The military style fashion of their coats has a melting power. What do women want, men ask? Hand them the movie and say, "THIS!". Oh yeah- and the story was cool, too. Thanks for the great time, Leavers!
After spending two days of picking up, I figured we should actually bathe and leave the house. We went bowling today with some friends. It was the kids first time. As you can see from the photo, we had such high-action fun. Seriously, stop the presses and just settle down to write your book in the time it took the freaking ball to get to the pins. Holy cow! But really, it was fun and a little unnerving to see Elliet tie me at one point. My game is off, man. I need to whip out my glove and short shorts to bring back my groove.
As for the rest of the pics, random little things I wanted to make sure I recorded this year. Hooray for blogs. I feel less guilt about my repeated goal to scrapbook every year (which I have not been doing) but must make sure I include details I want- so... sorry they are scattered and random. Welcome to my brain.
While in Utah we hung out with Marty and Jess at their place one night and we finally saw the Christmas tree. Marty goes OFF every year on their tree and lights them like they are the Plaza tree. If I remember correctly, there are 2600 lights on this tree. He even had to use tricky little 'lifting' techniques with the strands to hold the branches up from all the weight. It is pretty though, eh? He has blown fuses and I am not joking. Way to go, Marty!

We also enjoyed the babies. Julia's little Cole is just like a cherub from a Michelangelo painting. This picture doesn't do him justice. He has shiny, rosy cheeks and folds of white baby skin all over and as jolley as can be (har har). He's at the stage where you talk to him and he coos back all up and down. So cute.
And lastly, some photos of us sledding. This was hilarious! The kids went down by themselves most of the time and Scott and I just watched and laughed. They were so funny all waddly in over sized winter clothing, rolling off the sled at the bottom of the hill. Pink noses and all. We had a great time.
Sheesh, this was long. I will try to be more frequent or include less details so these aren't mini novels. Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Andrea Love. This is Marty. Just took the lights off the tree. The official light count was 3500 lights. It took me four hours to get all the lights off. I'm an idiot...

Andrea said...

Oooooh Marty... that is Christmas devotion.

Emily said...

How fun that your Christmas carried over a few more days! Marty might feel like an idiot, but that that tree was awesome.

anna said...

just let me have that cole for 5 minutes! i will munch his little cheekies off! i love him so!! that julia makes some yummy ones! by the way marty, you have too much christmas spirit for me. and sometimes it's just worth it to leave the lights on when you throw out the tree! buying new lights next year MIGHT be worth 4 hours of your life back.