Monday, January 14, 2008

The Balm of Life

Life has been emotional for me these past weeks. What is it with January? There is so much warm fuzzy/super stressy excitement in December and then you are left with a house that was already messy and now needs to absorb more 'stuff'... into cluttered closets, with old clothes you need to clean out, and while you are there you want to change the bedroom furniture and linens and do those projects this year that you didn't get to last year and oh, yeah- add that to the freaking long resolutions list that is mutating in your head.
So you know what I use to get through life? I am a music organism. I feast on it. I thrive on it. I need it to survive! And it changes all the time, like my interests, I suppose. I need newness, inspiration and motivation. Not only does it sustain you through workouts, it is therapy.
Anyway, since I haven't had much fun to blog about lately, this has been one solid issue so far this month that has saved my soul. From the ups to the recent downs. So I thought I would share some tunes that I highly advise you seek out. They have helped me think and unfortunately embarrass myself (caught dancing with the headphones in-and I'm not a good dancer, people).

Go forth and download these songs for your workout:
Whitey- Wrap it up E.P. (for the Jan. fitness goals- this will move your fanny on that run)
Radiohead - Bodysnatchers (again, raise that heartrate!)
Kenna - Say Goodbye to Love (Don't lie- I see you just fighting that inner running man)
Spoon- Don't You Evah (awesome beat. Try not to sing, I dare you)

Go forth and meditate:
Panda Bear - Ponytail (if you have kids, get a tissue)
The Shins - Wincing Album
Clinic - Paradise
Primrose League -
Band of Bees - Got to let go (I love the 70's vibe in this song. Very 'white polyester')

5 comments:

Erica said...

I bought the song by Spoon and the one by Whitey-thank you for the advice. I am always looking for new music.
itunes had an editors choice list for 2007, we bought half the songs, artists were: MIA, Feist, Peter Bjorn & John, Amy Winhouse, LCD soundsystem. My all time favorite right now is "Into the Ocean" by Blue October. My fall back bands are Modest Mouse & Beastie Boys. As far as mellow I love soundtracks: Michael Clayton, The Insider, 21 grams (the artist is Gustavo Santaolalla-anything by him is haunting and great), Kill Bill vol 1, Traffic, Syriana. Let me know when you find other great music-I am always up for a listen.
Sorry I couldn't hear you yesterday-I was blasting a my new "ride list" a little too loud!

Jessica said...

This January has been emotional for me too! With you all leaving after the holidays I felt so sad and that there was nothing to look forward to. I'm not as cool as you because I struggle with the music world, but I have found some motivation for fun from movies and tv show ie: my Friends dvd box set!

Unknown said...

Hellllls yeah! Whitey's EP is the bomb -- all three tracks.

melissa said...

I love The Shins Wincing Album too! Mitch and I were just listening to that on our drive to Portland to calm ourselves after some treacherous mountain passes. Good choice! I'll have to check out the rest.

anna said...

i love music too but since having children i lack the time to put into researching and finding my groove. i let others do it for me right now. thanks for the music!