Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Big Sky

Since I ride my bike in the summer, I try to mix up my fitness during the winter.
This year I have been running some trails up at Red Rock. It is more enjoyable for me than running through a neighborhood, but it requires some discipline. I have to go really early in order to return in time for Scott to leave for work. This means I have to leave my house around 5:30am. In the winter, it's dark and crazy cold that early. Sometimes I will meet a group of friends up there, but they are too slow so I save them the discouragement and run alone with the coyotes. Okay, I'm the slow one and my body can't take the beating, but that's good because I found I kept looking around to take in the views anyway and kept tripping on rocks so now it's less embarrassing.
Anyway, during the drive home yesterday I was loving the incredible sky. I love the west and this desert and it's enormous sky. Driving during that twilight time when you can see everything go from light to dark is awesome and throw a few clouds in and a full moon? So beautiful. So it inspired me. I decided that this morning, during my run, I would take photos of this progress since, you know, most normal people aren't up that early and it will be fun to see.
All I needed to motivate me was this image of the sky. Before I went to bed last night, I noticed as I was turning off the lights how bright it was outside. I stepped out in my backyard and stared at the sky for a few minutes. Isn't it pretty!? Pink cotton clouds from the city below hiding a glowing full moon. Stupenda!
So this morning I toted my camera along and stopped occasionally to try and capture the beauty. I played with all the funky settings but my little point-and-shoot can only do so much.
Now, let me just set the stage for you.
When I get up there, it is dark. Dark like it's 11pm dark. And the loop begins with me running further from the light, towards the mountains. I don a swanky headlamp but if it wasn't for an ipod blasting distraction, you can get pretty spooked. Is that a joshua tree or something else (Tiff?)? But the higher you go, the lighter it becomes, revealing the serene desert atmosphere. This is why I go.









Here is a bad shot of what it looks like when I start. Today was a good day with moonlight. Usually there is none and you can hardly see the silhouette of the mountains ahead.







This is about 15 minutes into the run, looking behind me. The sun barely coming up and slowly lighting the ground.







Now it's about 6:20.












Coming down to cross the river, now I am running towards the city. This is a shot of me looking back against the mountains. You can see the blue morning light getting better.










Here I am standing in the same place but facing forward, the sunrise getting brighter. I love the color of the water at this time... it looks milky, like liquid silver against the dry rocks.







And now I am done! Back at the parking lot to stretch and see the sun break across the mountains. There really is a rainbow when you scroll your eyes up. Yellow grass, green bushes, pink and orange rock up to a pale blue and lavender sky. Awww- look... she knows her colors!


And now the car ride home.
Isn't that so beautiful!??!
I promise I don't talk like this during the run.... I just trip looking at it.
Hope you liked!

(Make sure you click the pics to see them bigger in all their splendor)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

That was so fun to "go" with you on your run! Thanks! I needed that.

Emily said...

"Awww- look... she knows her colors!" You are so funny. Those are great pictures and you are tougher than me - I cannot make myself get up while it's still dark!

Bryan Crew said...

ANDREA-
I have just been thinking the same thing about the mountains. I can't get over how awesome they are. We are so lucky to live so close to such beauty. (I don't usually talk this way, either.) It's easy to have a deep appreciation for this when you spend time up there. Good job, girl!