Sunday, January 27, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

So, I'm not much for attention on myself, but yesterday was my Birthday (which felt like a week long celebration) so thanks are in store!
First Scott took me to CA last weekend and this Thursday my Mom, sister and younger brother came for a quick 48 hour trip in my honor. As soon as they arrived on Thursday night, we left Richard with Scott and the femme fatale (minus one- we missed you Jess!) checked into Mandalay Bay. We then went and saw Phantom. I did just go a few weeks ago for the first time and was looking forward to seeing it with them. As you know, Julia and I have a new man in our lives- Gerard Butler from this new infatuation with the movie, so we just had to gush about comparisons after the show. Very fun indeed (Review finals are in: the movie can't be beat with that man as the lead and those voices are too beautiful).
Next day was full of lazy, slow shopping. Rich met us for some mall food and we ended up laughing hysterically (thanks to Rich, mostly) and basking in the 2nd hand Wynn sun. It created a fun falsy glow so we lingered and photographed each other. How lame am I that these are the only pics I took the entire weekend and they didn't even work, so I actually swiped what you see here from Julia (Thanks, J). Poor Mommies- she may look sad but we probably snapped that after a laughing low and her cheeks were recuperating. After major fashion over-stimulation (more on that later) we went back to our room, ordered room service and watched 'Stranger Than Fiction'. I LOVE that movie. LOVE it. If you have not see it, buy it. Then watch it. So romantic and poignant and beautifully written. The filming is cool, acting superb, I know- you've seen it so I won't go on.
Anyway, very fun 2 nights + day. Thanks for coming! I haven't stayed downtown in Vegas and it was an odd and liberating feeling to be close to home yet completely removed. A nice mental getaway.
Also, always fun to have my Birthday month shared with my brother, Marty. His was on the 15th and since we are just under a year apart (Irish twins, me-lads!) I wanted to give a little tribute to our bond, since I neglected to put an embarrassing picture, like this one, up on his actual Birthday. So here you go, Mdog! I love you!

I also got some calls from family and friends and Emily even brought me a swank home-made 4 LAYER cake complete with raspberries atop. Very fancy. I thought about taking a picture about 10 bites into the side of it... so you'll have to imagine it's greatness. Thanks, Emily! xoxoxo

And now, some fashion foes. Female viewers, I expect comments because the awareness I gained regarding some coming trends? Depressing.
1) Puffy sleeves. Hello? I am not in Hamlet. What are they thinking? They are everywhere. It's either Alice in Wonderland (so 2nd grade) or Elizabeth the 3rd, down at your elbows. Who does this flatter?
2) 80's pumps. They are still pushing this. I am not going to be in a ZZ Top video, so please hold off of the hot lemon-yellow or lipstick pink 3" heels.
3) And bathing suits! Oh please help. Why is it so hard to find a cool bathing suit? The lines are a little strict now that children are involved, esp. at the public pool. I mean, all of my super small string bikini's will not do in that setting. So what to wear? They have a name for these... half bikini, half one piece things. MONOKINI. You know what I am referring to, where it looks like a toddler cut circles out of the sides, down the front, added some rubber bands and voila. Or you find a cool one but it has some J-Lo deep V thing going on. And I am not too fond of the "cruise" suit made with a print that resembles hotel room artwork. The between? You tell me.

Come, Spring... I can't wait...for the most part.

7 comments:

Jewels said...

Oh I love you, I had so much fun this weekend. As far as the fashion foes go - I'm so with you. What is up with the puffy sleeve? I feel like a pasty in those things. I was a little hurt about the 80's pumps...you know how much I want to be in a ZZ Top video.

oh snap said...

Puffy shirts? REally? Like Seinfeld? I bet I'd look WAY hot in one..

JENNIE! said...

HAPPy Birthday Andrea!! ... I'm looking forward to seeing you in your MONOKINI at the pool this summer :)

noelle said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so glad I found you back in time to send you birthday wishes. I also love Phantom- movie and live show... although it was years ago I saw it, and Stranger Than Fiction.
I hear you about the fashion woes, come on people-puffy sleeves- really? ( I guess my wedding dress is back in)
and bathing suits... don't get me started!

Mark said...

Happy belated Birthday! You are great!

Stranger Than Fiction. LOVE IT!

anna said...

HAPPY BIRTIES MY FRIEND! i am sorry i missed it! i do love you so!! sounds like you had a great time! your fam is the best!

okay, so you ask RE: fashion, you get.
puffy sleeves: they flatter super model types with no arm flab or muscle tone. stay far away from the edwardian billowing sleeves. those flatter NO ONE!
80's heels: those WERE NEVER cool. only pat benatar wanna-be's need own.
and swimsuit: sorry dear. you got me here. i am still trying to pull my tummy back IN. not even thinking about birkinis yet. i wll say i haven't seen anything inspiring in a few years.

so, there you have it. let's LUCKY dish next month!! tee hee!

Emily said...

This is late, but on time for me - Happy Birthday.