Monday, January 5, 2009

Cold Play












I promise this is the last of long posts for a while. Finally caught up.
We were going to stay home during the week of New Years but decided last minute to head up to UT. A few reasons: See family, kids could play in the snow, I could get my hair done (way overdue as my good friend does it and we haven't been in town for months) AND we could go snowmobiling in Brianhead on the way back... celebrate New Years, kick it, etc...
So most of Monday was prep to head up and late Tuesday afternoon we arrived. I feel kind of bad because I think we were all tired from holiday hooplah, but my family was so great to make efforts to get together to have fun. Jess suggested we go ice skating so almost all of us went. It was fun to be at a small outdoor rink. The kids have never been so they were excited. I also need to thank my dear siblings for taking turns help hold up my kids.... Scott and I were a little outnumbered! Before skating we went to lunch and I happened to bump into an old high school friend that I recently reconnected with on FB. Imagine that! So cool to see her and her family. Among the skating and cocoa, we fit in an Ikea trip, watched movies (Lars & the Real Girl (great film- I had no idea it was so good)), played games, ate sushi, went to Comedy and shopped. We even got to attend the regular family lunch so I could see my Grandmother. It was especially neat to have all of us together with her- My Dad & Mom, all my siblings + our kids.
We had a wonderfully quiet New Years Eve. Have fun Ryan Seacrest freezing your fanny off in NYC. No thanks. :) We also went and visited Scott's sister and family. That is always fun to have the cousins play together while we catch up. And guess what? Trevor let me play RockBand with he and his friend. I played the drums. I was horrible. I am hooked. I want it. And PS- Maybe this is old news but Jen tells me they are coming out with a Beatles version!?!? Um.... I will SO be owning that. I foresee a Beatle-a-thon at Powell this summer. Can't buy me love? Yes you can. It's called RockBand.
We were going to head to Brianhead on Friday but decided we were too lazy so we stayed and I'm glad we did. There was a fresh new fall of snow that night so we had great snow for sledding on Saturday. My parent's good friends across the street have a big hill down their back yard that they offered to us, so we walked across the way. They all live in a semi-culdesac so the snow plow left a big pile of snow right in front of their house from a storm a week before. It has been an annoyance but was fun for the kids. They climbed up and down that all week and slid down the face of if. Here is Sadie: Queen of the mountain.
You can see that there were only a couple of new inches, but enough to have some great sledding.
And Scott especially had a good time in his favorite mini-sled. Like how he's carving a big green streak behind?
All this winter play does make me a little envious that I can't do some snow sports where I live. I miss skiing/snowboarding and that absence of sound when it snows in the trees. I want to snow shoe and play.... but man, it's cold! I've become a desert rat and I sure don't miss driving in it. So guess what!? I'll visit it.... which is what we will now do with Brianhead around the corner. More snow play coming soon.

3 comments:

Heather Lynn said...

That looks so fun!

Heather Lynn said...

BTW Check out the free giveaway I am doing at simplyhealthful.blogspot.com

melissa said...

Ooooh, fun post! I'm dying to go snowboarding too. P.s. I loooove Lars and the Real Girl. It was so good I went out and bought it the night I rented it. Weird? I don't care. I was surprised by it too. Great minds think alike!