Monday, January 5, 2009

Christmas Day

It finally came! And this year the kids beat us downstairs....ooops. One tradition that I grew up with was the baracade blocking us from getting to our presents before the Parents. My Dad always had something up to halt our attempt, whether it was ghetto like a piece of paper attached to packing tape across the doorway or some elaborate ribbon gate... the message always clearly said, "Do Not Pass!". I forgot to do that this year so Scott and I groggily hurried down after the kids while they discovered their bikes and toys. Still so fun to see them excited. We had to hurry and open everything in order to join the rest of our family by 9am. The kids received some great things from Papa & Nana in Utah, Jeannine, Mom & Dad and Santa. My parents hooked us up with a lot of food storage this year and a wheat grinder (which I have already put to use- yum!). Elliet especially liked her stocking sunglasses. She forgot to keep her pajamas on and got dressed in that holiday colored getup before coming down so she had to get her pj's back on before we left. Funny girl.
Once we arrived at the Leaver's, we did what I mentioned on the C-Eve post. We all went to the top of the stairs, Bobba got the video camera ready, and each family descended the stairs in their holiday pj's. As we all sat their crowded in the hallways waiting our turn, I tried to persuade Scott to strip down and wrap a bath towel around him but he wouldn't. That would have been a great memory, no? I think so, too. Party pooper.
Down the stairs we went, into the family room, divied up the prezzies and began to open. So fun to see what everyone shared with one another and why. Scott's family is always so generous-- I mean, look at that loot! It's fun to feel a little like a kid and be surprised at what they give. Afterwards we did what any family would do from such a chore. We ate. Nothing like a great brunch to round off a nice long day of laziness and playing. The rest of the day we were complete bums. Sitting around visiting and catching up with everyone, watching movies, playing guitar hero and doing puzzles. Oh wait- nightmarish puzzles aren't your idea of a good time? Me either- and yet, what is that magnetic pull a puzzle posesses which lures you in? This puzzle was some kind of 'Clue' puzzle. Get this: you are supposed to assemble the darn thing without any idea of what the scene is. THEN you're supposed to solve the mystery by discerning clues within. Bah! It was a miracle we finished the thing. And yes, I'm exhaggerating the pain because we were laughing and complaining together throughout so all in all, it was fun. After memorializing the torture with photos, we broke it down, put all the pieces back in the box, wrapped it in a metal chain and tossed it in the sea.
It was a wonderful day spent with family and relaxing. We didn't get home until late that evening and just walked over our tornado of morning mess right to bed. The rest of the weekend we did more activities with family and took down the decorations. Well, all but the lights outside and our weird upside down tree thing. Some years I am a little sad because the house always feels so bare when you remove everything, but not this year. It felt so cluttery to have things spread everywhere.... I couldn't wait to put it all away so I have been relishing in the bare-ness.
Anyway, it was a great Christmas 2008. I am grateful for my family, Scott's family and especially my own little family. My husband is an angel through and through and I love him dearly. And hey- I mean, look at the guy... he's down right delicio-so. We have so much to be grateful for and wish you all the best in your New Year. Merry Merry!

No comments: