Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Foolish Man Built

Yes.
Yes I did.
I did that.
Le me esplain...
This past Sunday I wanted to make Gingerbread houses the with kids. They are getting old enough to try some fun holiday traditions and I thought this would be fun. (Fun???)
I figured I would just cut out some squares, some roof pieces and boom. Easy peasy.
It actually wasn't too bad. I whipped together the royal icing, made it extra thick to fulfill it's cement role, and off I went. The kids all sat on the counter and watched me build the houses. They took me only a few minutes to do each. Then we could decorate!
Well, as they started to take form, my enthusiasm began to decrease significantly. They weren't cute houses, they were low income houses. Ginger Ghetto. Frosted Peaks Trailer Park. In fact, I feel bad for the poor Gingerbread man who has to live in my house. It's drafty, it has gaping openings in the roof, no cute curtains or candy sidewalks... it is a structural mess. I need to call Ty Pennington. Maybe he can build this unfortunate resident a three story dream home.
Fortunately, the kids knew no different so they were happy with their outhouses.
Anyway, I ran some errands yesterday and when I walked in the door to Williams Sonoma, I heard it... the Christmas song singing just to me.. "Do you see what I see!" and do you know what I saw? THIS!
It was made for me. Look at the sound, sturdy construction of this house and it's handsome gingerbread owners. You can tell they are well-to-do in their flashy clothes and well-kept landscaping. They even have trees! Well, I want to keep up with the Jones'es just as much as anyone else, so I slapped down my cash and bought them. Now I'll show the gingerhood who will have a good house this year. It will be off the hook. Maybe I'll get all wicked crazy and make a cookie H3!

4 comments:

Jewels said...

Brava! Bellisima! Stupenda!!

oh snap said...

GingerHOOD?!?! So much laughing...

Mark said...

Hahahahaha!!

anna said...

like mother, like daughter. just the spittin image...you are too crafty!