Thursday, December 13, 2007

Cultural Tights

The other day I got to thinking about the Nutcracker.
Do you remember seeing that as a kid? How sad for Clara, the little girl, who received her nutcracker from that weird old guy with the eye patch and how it broke... and the HUGE Christmas tree all lit up as she fell asleep.... magical!
I remember watching an old version of it as a kid and always liked it. Our family was never one of those fancy attendees where it's a yearly tradition to get all dressed up and go.... but the music is so amazing.
Anyway, there I was, thinking (ow), and thought it would be so fun to have my kids see that now. So as I have been looking for it, they are hard to come by. You can't rent it from Blockbuster or Hollywood... I could buy it but which one to get? I decided to check my Tivo listing and what do I find? Ovation TV is doing a programming special called "The Battle of the Nutcracker" and they are airing a few versions of the classic that you can watch and then vote on. Hey! Free choices! So show your kids some culture and dancing (the girls will love, the boys maybe not- but you never know...if they do like it, hide your nylons) and enjoy! Click on the picture to see the show times if you are interested.

2 comments:

anna said...

i agree, the nutcracker is a sad story. i always felt bad for the poor beautiful ballerina girl with the broken nutcracker and nobody to play with on christmas eve. HOWEVER, my family DID see the nutcracker once on christmas eve and we all slept through it because we were too tired from all the other festivities and the music is soooo soothing. heh heh. bummer. we never went back.

Andrea said...

Snap, snap! Stay awake!
You are funny, Anna.