Saturday, December 22, 2007

NYC Cap

Okay. I figured I better get these up now or it will be too late to finish my 'journaling' of this trip.
Sunday and Monday were fun play days. We went to church that morning and wow- the ward choir was something fierce. Seriously, people, what do you expect from tons of talent in a city like this? Well I wasn't thinking that when they all stood up in their matching sweaters... but it was incredible. Plus, it's always cool to go to church when you travel. I love that feeling of home anywhere you go. So wonderful! We even crossed paths with some old SF acquaintances... small world.
This picture is of Scott and I trying to take a photo with something cool behind us. I said "Let's ask someone to take it for us". Scott said "Nah- we can do it. My arms are long enough".... and here's what we got. Oh, what's that you say? You can't see what is behind us? Hm... wonder why. But look at his face. He had so much fun doing it.
We walked all over the city that day and unfortunately didn't get back to the hotel to change so I had to tromp all around the town in my skirt and heeled boots. Drafty!
We saw some groovy stuff though.
Checked out Wall Street and the Stock Exchange. We are such tourists with our cameras and eyes drawn upward. Still fun to feel the energy down there.
Then you look up and see the Trinity church just looming between the skyscrapers. Love that! The mix of modernism and then you turn a corner and see super old architecture.
The church has a very cool looking graveyard. I simply had to get a photo of this for Halloween inspiration. Don't judge. You must admit it's all neat and gloomy in the cloudy weather.

















That evening we went to the Radio City Music Hall for the Christmas Spectacular show. Now this was fun. It had it's corny moments but was just good old classic family fun, Rockettes and all!
It feels all old school inside and when you sit down, here is the stage sitting before you. The hall is very large and open.
The Rockettes did a lot of their traditional outfit changes and line kicks (Juls- right up your alley). One of the coolest things I enjoyed was their version of the Bethlehem story.
It was beautiful.
They had an angel come down from the sky and she was so colorful. She looked like something from an old painting. And the rest of the scenery throughout was very simple.











Then they had the people traveling to the city to be taxed and there were all these amazing costumes crossing the stage, including camels! I had to get a picture of that one. My kids would have loved to see that.







And the scene when they arrive! It was stunning! Angelic singing and everything. I was so impressed. Here, in this time of all the PC regarding "Christmas", was a beautiful and appropriate portrayal of the story. So great.








That night we went back to our hotel and ended up eating in the "View" restaurant that was atop the building boasting 360 degree views of the skyline. Well, it did not disappoint! I think that was the highlight of the trip for me- just kicking it at the window with Scott, trying to decipher what building what which from the tiny graphic on the napkins and eating yummy buffet food (and not so great buffet desserts).
The next day we fit in a quick one hour glimpse of the park from the overpriced horse carriages. But our feet could take no more so it was nice to be driven around. That park is amazing. Now I know how people can live in that city. It was therapeutic to be among trees and grass. I can't wait to see it in warmer months. How romantic!
And my final picture not only demonstrates how picturesque the city surrounding the beautiful park can be, it is also to show you the two tiny speared buildings were the ones in Ghostbusters that the Stay Puff Marshmallow man scaled. Yeah?! Follow me now? Ahhh NYC. So fun. Thanks, Scott!

1 comment:

Jewels said...

Andrea - these pictures are so beautiful! My goodness, that show at RCMH..gorgeous. I wish I could have been there! Looks like you guys had a blast, I can't wait to go with Cody sometime.