Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Eve/Day

Merry Christmas!
We had a great Christmas in Utah this year. I mentioned before that we don't plan on traveling much anymore for Christmas, but this year we decided to have one last go and it has been great fun.
Before we left, we crammed in a few last minute traditions of our own. Pictures with Santa (should I make that a tradition? I don't know yet) and driving through Sunset Park to see the light parade. Well, really we are the parade driving through this huge park with all kinds of light designs. It's always corny and fun. This picture illustrates one of my favorite designs. There were blue fins that lit up in sequential order and then ended with this last blink of a huge Jaws head emerging from the 'water'. So funny. Maybe I will do that in my yard next year. "Merry Christmas? I'll show you Merry Christmas! RAAARRRRR!"
After the game we headed to Provo. On Christmas Eve I shopped with my Mom and Sister to get some last minute gifts and groceries. When we came home the snow started to fall and the kids wanted to go play outside. I had ordered winter coats, gloves, etc. for them but it hadn't arrived yet. As I was stalling with an explanation, Mr. UPS knocked on the door with our box of items. Perfect timing! I opened it right there and put the stuff on, crossing my fingers that it would all fit as I pulled each thing out. They went right outside and played in the backyard. It was beautiful. One of the reasons I wanted to come up this week was for the kids to play in the snow. Check! They had a great time.
The rest of the night we ate yummy chili and clam chowder, watched Scrooge and wrapped for a long, long time. We always do this to ourselves. I had most of my things wrapped but there are always little things that you have to throw together. It's kind of fun, though. We're not the only ones who do this, right? .... right?
With all the family here together this year, we had a pretty hefty area of gifts growing. We decided to make a separate area for the kids so they had their own little tree and their presents below. I hung the stockings on the railing next to it. As usual when they are young, you end up buying more than you need because usually one gift gets all the attention. Luke's GeoTrax was the winner this year. It has been going all day. Sadie just had fun opening everything, she wasn't even that thrilled to see what was inside.... she just set it down and pulled something else from under the tree. Elliet wanted a horse stable and Santa brought it! (And she had a heck of a time putting it together the night before too- what a nightmare) But go Santa! She loved it. It's a monster, though. I don't know how we are going to get it home.....
The afternoon was spent picking up all the shredded paper mess that was put on the gifts not eight hours before and playing with new things. Well, me helping the kids play with new things.
Then that night we had yummy dinner and a ginger house contest.
Speaking of Grahams, look at Grahammy! He is just the cutest. Marty was trying out the new Bjorn and Graham likey.
Our contest was brutal. One package of crackers and one bag of frosting per participant. In retrospect we should have put a time limit on it because people got waaay to crazy. I am going to have to document the results later, as I have already put enough pics in this post. But here are some teasers. Cody obviously went for the structurally sound execution using pretzels as 2x4's. Richard went very modern and added a George Nelson porch lamp. Note the three drilled holes in the angular side wall. Sheesh. Only my family. Seriously, we weren't talking. We had the Grinch on in the background and it was competitive work, sawing (yes, sawing!) and sanding for precision. Are we lame or what??
All in all, it was a wonderful year. I was so happy to be here and share Christmas with my family. We are blessed to have a warm place to be, food to eat, health and family...I could go on and on. Can't we all!? We are all so blessed. What greater gift could we have then to know that this is a small taste of things to come? A little of heaven on earth. I missed Jacob this year. I wish he could have been here but what a joy to know that we can be with him again. It is a marvelous blessing.
Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Jewels said...

It really was the greatest Christmas! Little Jacob was there, I'm sure of it. I so need to post on my blog...but reading yours is much funner and less work. Merry Christmas!

anna said...

sounds like so much fun! the gingerbread houses are amazing! what a great idea. so, are you home now? we are heading to utah NExT week. what a bummer we didn't coordinate. merry christmas!