Monday, December 17, 2007

Right Brained

Being creative has it's price. For instance:
Bad hair dye, wearing sweaters knit with cat hair, airbrushed paintings of wilderness wolves, super long fingernails complete with scenery and piercings, mini skirts on older women.... you catch my drift.
Sometimes it's our clothing. And unfortunately those choices can occasionally lead to photographs. Moments that will NEVER leave you again.
Well, I caught a good one the other day.
I never know what Elliet will come down the stairs looking like. And, hey- she's in Kindergarten. Who cares. Usually she will go to school in her interesting combinations. This day I had to intervene only because she has put on the pants she wore the day before and they were really dirty. But what do you think? Interesting, no? It's like her yellow kitty is an accessory, tying in the yellow stripe sleeve accent. And pink toe socks? Shut Up! So now.

Creativity also has it's glorious side.
When I returned from our trip last weekend, I noticed Elliet's entourage of horses looked more majestic than usual. And this is why: She had taken hair bands and had looped them around the ears, then slid a feather down under the band so it stood upright on their heads. I was so impressed!
A-"Elliet? Did you do this?"
E- "Yeah..."
A- "Where did you get that idea? Did someone help you think of that?"
E- "No, Mom... it's on Cinderella...." (Said in a 'sheesh, how pathetic' tone)
I was seriously blown away. She's a clever one.

Back to the "bad" creativity. As you know my creativity gets me into more things than time can allow. Baking at Christmastime is one of them. I enjoy it so, but you read how my attempt at spritz cookies turned out. I was determined NOT to be matched by a cookie press! So I did it again. And I feel that it is my duty to share what I learned so other poor, creative souls such as myself will not have to endure the rejection.
Here is a picture of that first attempt. Look at the things! My spread out blobs. What is their motivation? Don't they desire to shine? (I must say, they are delicious, though, so they are winning in the end by being eaten all up).
Anyway, I then tried the recipe in the actual Blueprint mag. They were better. Then I tried the recipe that came with the actual cookie press. Genius thinking, I know. It took me a while. But Ding! Ding! We have a winner! They looked the best. And then after all that I was too pooped out to frost them all cute so they only got a sweet little glaze and some sanding sugar. You don't need to see them.

My point is... um... stay creative! It is rewarding and you'll learn much along the way. Esp. the "Do Not's".

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Those poor, sad little cookies. They are fat cookies. Everyone wants a tight, trim, toned little cookie - but we can all agree that the fatties taste the best!

melissa said...

Elliet is totally a girl after my own heart. I would have sported that outfit in a heartbeat, and I'm 25!