Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lotoja 2008

Here we go again! Another great year participating in the LOTOJA Race. This year Scott played Vaughters and put a fun relay team together, two of which it was their first time and I think they'll be back for sure. It ended up being one of the funnest trips we have had. Everyone has such a great sense of humor and wit so the laughs never stopped. By Sunday our jokes from Friday were very embellished - great times. So here is what we did!:
(I probably could have made a photo album but was too lazy so there are lots of pics. Sorry)
Scott and I left on Thursday night and drove to Provo to stay at my parents house (and it was my Dad's Birthday so he got the best prez ever, a visit from his favorite child). Friday morning we headed up to Logan where the race begins. Most of our friends from Las Vegas stay in the same hotel on this night so it's fun to wander from room to room, socialize and wish luck to everyone, perhaps talk a little trash to relay competitors, and use "Fetcher", our word of the day, as often as possible. (Easier than you think)
The next morning we got up early and saw Richard off first. He had the first leg of the relay and was a little nervous but this part was perfect for him and he LOVED it....exceptforthewreckafewminutesinwhereheendowedoversomeoneandrolledinthebushesbutwhatevs).
While he was going, the rest of us packed up our gear, ate a quick breakfast and hurried to the next town to see him come in but we MISSED his fast fanny because relay man #2 was already on his way! Go Boyd!
(Here is Boyd with Danny & Heidi (awww.... are they the cutest couple or what?). Boyd is funny. Boyd is fast. See Boyd fly through Strawberry Pass.
After missing the first exchange, we hurried as fast as we could to the next one where Shep was next to go. We drove our little hearts out and MISSED him because he was too fast....
SO! On we hurried to the next exchange and had plenty of time. Now, this is serious business... this supporting of our beloved riders... there is much texting of a sarcastic nature, loud music, snacks and dangerous photography to give you some idea.
By this third feed zone we were ready to eat so Tracy and I busted out PB&J on da A4 hood, yo. It was uber yummy. We made sandwiches for all and took them to the rest of our group waiting for exchange #3.
(Here is Tracy precariously weaving through a narrow fence... our only way through! until we all survived to find a wide opening 8 feet to the left that required no skill.... what fun is that anyway).








This is a picture after exchange #3. Shep make fantastic time (It was probably his Shep Chamois cream*) and he and Boyd compared super power mph. Do you see Shep's socks? How cool are they? I told you we take this very seriously...
This last shot is a rare example of human nature caught in it's best form. Richard, valiantly removing the timing chip from Danny's bike to Scott's (rider #4 to #5- the noble, final leg into Teton Village) did so with lightning speed and did his team proud. He had this method dee-own by the end of the day. It's like, so fast you might miss it if you're not watching.
Our team did great. They came in 9th out of 58 relay teams, and the other few before them all crossed the line within 1:30 (darn that wreck!). Their main goal was to race a certain mph average and they beat that easily so all were happy! Goals were met, the team did great and we had lots of fun together. That night we chilled in our rooms and Scott and I visited Rich's hotel to check out his cozy room at the Alpenhoff. I mention this only because they have the coolest pool I have ever seen. It's a huge, steel pool. All silver and clean. I really, really want to make one for meself someday.
As tradition goes, the next day is a fun, relaxing day in Jackson. We started it off with a delicious breakfast at the Four Seasons. And here is where all the jokes became out of control and we were being a little disruptive with our jollies. But wow- what great memories. The people could not have been better. Then we hurried into town for Sac. Meeting and followed that reverence with the Alpine Slide. Hopefully the good canceled out the bad because none of us flew out the side and hit a tree. Those things are FUN, no?! How old am I? I love it. Here is Rich enjoying the pleasant ride up the mountain. It was a beautiful day. Jackson is an amazing place. I love being up there. Our country is so pretty and the cloud shadows made the valley lovely. I forgot how much I love the quite hum of the lift as you ride up. As loud and fun as a winter descent is, that time to meditate going up is so peaceful. Ahh... as I wax poetic about the winter. I will do some winter sports this year. But anyway....! We shopped, at some great pizza at Mountain High, bumped into LV friends along the boardwalks and headed back to the hotel for our much anticipated Cannonball Contest. I think Scott was the winner but Rich gave us some fun flips. After cleaning up we borrowed a DVD player, ordered room service and partay-ed with Arrested Development and Flight of the Conchords. Good times indeed. The next morning Scott, Shep and I went on a beautiful bike ride before we all took off for the drive home. It was so pretty out and it made me a little sad because this trip always marks the end of summer in a way. We had a fabulous time with amazing people. Until next year!


















**A homemade wonder! Ingredients include mayo, sour cream, massage oil, some musty boot designer perfume and organic eggs to name a few. Mention this plug and you'll receive a free Shep Chamois towel (doubles as a cape or fashion accessory) and instructions on how to do the Aussie diving double wave.

1 comment:

Jewels said...

Awwww, I am so jealous I didn't go!! I mean, I don't ride or anything, but I can make a mean PB and J and I have been known to weave nimbly through fences. It looks like you had the best time ever! And your pictures!?! I'm so stealing them to put on my blog. Thank you for being clever and artsy so I can thieve your hard work for my own benefit. Yet again.