Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hungtington Happiness

Scott went to Scout Camp early Monday morning and wasn't going to be back until Wednesday night. My friend invited us (me+the kids) to join her again in Huntington for a few days.... Um... YES. Though, I was a little concerned that she wouldn't get much of a relaxing vacation around my "energetic" family... in fact I still wonder if she did.... but we had a great time doing quite a lot of nothing. I love that place.
When we arrived on Monday, we decided to walk over to the beach and just meander. I didn't want to get the kids all dressed in suits, sun block, haul umbrella's and snacks, etc. until the next day. Well, so much for that. They were not shy and within minutes were soaked from playing in the waves and pouring sand in each others pants. Nice. Michelle ended up going back to the house and grabbing some towels after all. Then we walked home and washed them off on the shower they have on the side of the house. People, that is a cool thing, is it not? If I lived by the beach I would probably do that every day, sand or no. It feels awesome to shower in warm water outside. Why is that? Granted, before you think I am crazy, it is completely fenced in and private..... except for the telescope sitting on a neighboring deck but whatever....so back to my point, the kids LOVED this showering-outside-by-the-garage thing and I loved not tracking in that mess through the house. Win-win. Now they were prepared for the rest of the week because that's all they asked to do when we would get home. It has inspired me to hang my hose on the side of my house. Do you think it will be received the same way? dribbling 58 degree hose water? no?
Tuesday morning Michelle went on a bike ride so I took the kids on an errand to the Container Store. When I came back she told me about the earthquake and wondered if I had felt it. NO! I was in the car and didn't feel a thing. Kind of a bummer. Would have been all crazy like to see those 'containers' falling off the tall shelves and people screaming. I could have used that to scare the kids into being better or something... 'The wrath of God is upon you for not sharing." Ah well. For the better I suppose. We ate lunch and went back to the beach heavily laden with our goods: chairs, towels and swimming suits. The people watching never disappoints (my kids definitely contribute to this- Luke's suit was barely holding on half the time and his little sandy crack got some neighboring giggles). Ahhhh....I don't need to tell you how nice it is. Waves, sun, breeze. Thanks, Michelle. I needed it.
We basically played at the beach, played at some fun local parks and ate lots of good food for three days. I also discovered a place nearby that has shaved ice. Oh yes, it is the real thing. The kind of shaver I wanted but, you know, couldn't really justify an industrial level snow shaver for the back yard, so hooray for the discovery. New traditions for future trips to come simply must include this.


I managed to get in one bike ride on Wednesday morning which was therapeutic to my soul. Overcast skies, warm temps and Fleet Foxes in my ears to meditate. I kept stopping and taking photos with my phone along the way. This is one of my favorites. I liked the look of all these life guard stations (if that is what they are, I'm not sure) empty on the bare beach. We live in a beautiful world and I experienced a lot of emotion on that ride. I don't recommend crying while moving at 18 mph.... not so safe. :-)
Anyway, we are safely home and reunited with Scott who had a fun time but was glad to be home in a real bed. Now we catch up for another week and head off to Powell next week sans kiddies. I. simply. can't. wait. Then we're home for a week and then ELLIET STARTS SCHOOL on the 25th. Um, where did that summer go in 2008 because I can't find it. I thought it would be pretty flat with not much to do and lots of lazy afternoons swimming at pals houses and late night outdoor chats with friends. But there simply wasn't enough. Time to squeeze in what we can with what's left. Anyone up for a pool date?



2 comments:

Jewels said...

No more can you give me crap about getting emotional driving around our old neighborhood if you get teary on a bike ride - we are even. I'm super jealous of your trip - shaved ice and earthquakes? I'm so coming next time...

Tayva said...

How wonderful was this get away? I loved looking at the kids, and especially the art of the empty life guard towers. How awesome are they? And how awesome is the girl who gets emotional on a bike ride? She's terrific. XO, Mommy