Thursday, August 28, 2008

Back At It

Here we go! Say goodbye to summer. It's been such a beautiful and relaxing three months. I'm a little sad to have summer ending. School has begun for Elliet (Twins don't start preschool for another couple of weeks), soccer practice started and I'm doing homework again. That is your natural Tylenol PM right there. If you're ever, like, trapped in some castle and need to trick the guards to escape, just ask them to help you with homework. Holy cow I always get so sleepy while sitting there waiting for her to circle the pictures or whatever. Hooray for school. :-I
Elliet was excited to be a first grader. Well, as excited as she can get anyway. She was happy to see friends and seemed quite comfortable with it all. The first day is always pandemonium at the school since nearly every parent is there to see them off. Kids were all over the playground while we waited for the bell to ring. Luke, showing me how he could slide down the pole, was one of the loudest at yelling "MooooomY!", so that was dandy. And you know what else was fun? Looking at some of the parents. Like the size zero blonde with too-small very low jeans on (jeans!!! It was already over 95 degrees!) showing some you-know-what (rhymes with stack), tattoos and a tiny tank top. Um, what are you dressed up for? Are you gonna show the kids somethin' on that pole over there? Just your average school Mom in Las Vegas. Pay no mind. But Elliet had a great day and has adjusted right back to the routine. She's even already dragging her new backpack across the blacktop. Thaaat's great.
Soccer started and we are trying to decide if we should keep her in or substitute Luke in her place (on a boys team, of course). She's seems to have an okay time, but just not that enthused. We may stick with Dance. We'll see. Scott says she's just not into it.... he said, "You know who she is like?" and he pointed at me, saying she is more interested in observing patterns in the grass or watching shadows than listening to the coach. Ah.

So you know how I said I had so much going on this past week? Well here are some details. On top of getting some design work done for the Mount Charleston Hill Climb our team is doing this Saturday, I was trying to fit in getting a poster ready and classes organized for our next Enrichment that had to be announced on Sunday. I worked a while Sat. night and on Sunday morning to get everything ready. And you know what? 1.5 hours before church I received a phone call to come see the Bishop. And guess what happened, people? We got released. Yes, the R.S. pres of greatness is no more. I have mixed feelings about it but seriously! Why could they not have given me a heads up so I didn't fulfill my duty to the end? Then Monday, the handle on my dishwasher fell off. Monday night I went to get my groceries and the car wouldn't start. Tuesday I fixed the car and then later that day Luke and Sadie found my camera. Ahhh, yes. You see where this is going? Do you see the photos to your right? Do you hear the sad violin? It's the looming soundtrack foretelling tragedy. There I was, in the kitchen, and I could hear the twins laughing and all giggles and I was a suckered into it's cuteness and smiling..... but then it turned bad very fast as I paused to notice the other sounds that I recognized... what was that beeping sound.... so familiar.... my camera? Are they taking pictures with my camera? And as I started to turn the corner, it was too late. I was running, arms outstretched in slow motion as I leapt into the air all matrix-like and tried to catch the camera before it fell to the floor. But I was too late (and too lazy because I didn't really do that) and it was over. It's done. The camera is busted. These pictures are the last from it. So! There is the update on my life. Stay tuned for more. :-)

2 comments:

christian zimbelman said...

Hey there how's it going. i found your blog from marty and jess's blog. so when are you guys gonna be in town next?

Jewels said...

OK - this was hilarious. I love the picture of Elliet on her first day, she seems so over it. She's waving like, "Yeah, whatever, you can go now". And in the pic of mass parentals you can see Luke above them all grinning. I'm sorry about your camera!! Major downer. And congrats/condolences of being released. I love that you're upset that you were diligent until the end...