Saturday, April 12, 2008

Twins Hurrah

Birthday parties have two sides.
Side 1) They are fun! You are celebrating a milestone and surround yourself with friends and highly caloric food. Side bonus: It gives me a reason to do a mini food challenge and try some 'simple' cake idea (yeah, right).
Side 2) They can be a pain because Andrea usually over-estimates what she can do and does not allow enough time to do it.

These are things I thought about as I stood in the aisle at the party store today (yes, on Saturday with the other crazy last-minute planners like myself) and regretted not planning a little better this week. Remember me mentioning I am not great with math? So there I was, waiting for my balloons and adding the total attendees, parents and kids, adding food quantities, cooking time, cake making time, etc. I realized I was just a wee tight in my ambitions.
But hey! I have TV. I've seen how in the end all the stressful and impossible drama magically works out. So off I went and burned through the day.
I will say the cakes were fun to make, but didn't quite look as well as I'd hoped. You know how you imagine nice, smooth frosting and clean edges on things like cakes? Well, the S.S. Lucas has had a rough time at sea...(could be all that whine on board) and it was falling apart. I barely had enough icing to hold the poor lass together. It's chocolate cake! Cocoa Piracy! How bad can it be? (not bad, I must say.... very yummy, me hearties).
And Sadie's cake was even worse. Oh the poor Princess who occupies this dive must be so sad. The handsome Princes probably all joke about the run down eyesore while gulping their ale down at the 'Palace Pub'. Yes, it's a little crumbly and all that, but the gumball bushes are the berries and flags always spruce up an old place. And hey, Sadie loved it so it's all worth it (AND it was pink cake inside. Mmm-MM!)
Dinner prepped, cakes done, I set up the yard & balloons and then I called everyone and asked them to come one half hour later (darn cakes).
But the show worked out! Everyone had a good time (at least I think they did). I like having kids all running through my house. Isn't that sort of a weird family moment that is special? When you have all this energy galloping through your home? I don't know- maybe it's weird but I love it.
Now it's all taken down, cleaned up and put away. Isn't it cool what Mom's do? And I am not tooting my own Mommy horn here, I am merely recognizing that not only do clothes become clean, trash cans go out, bathrooms are sanitized, etc....but we add whipping cream to the special times in our families lives. Cream with sprinkles and cherries and flags with a marching band...or wobbly cake castles and too much lemonade. Mom, if you are reading this, thank you for all your hard work and special efforts. And that one Hula Girl cake you made...I still remember. :)

9 comments:

oh snap said...

You are awesome

Stephanie said...

Awesome cakes! I'm impressed by all of your effort to do that. That is a lot of work!

Tayva said...

Dear heart: I LOVE the cakes!; wish I could have been there to imbibe the sugar and celebrate. I would have loved helping and cleaning up and even the loved the noise; but, oh how I cherish this particular post. I'm wiping away tears. Close your eyes, and pretend I'm hugging you!!!! XO, Mommy

Jewels said...

Hoorah, indeed!! I cannot believe it, what a smash hit. The cakes look fantastic - way to go. It honestly looks like it was such a fun party, a perfect Spring evening. And you are right about Mom - they are the emellishers of life, no? Nicely done, my dear - you have done it again!!

Mark said...

Impressive!

anna said...

that just made me melt. i really {heart} you today.

too bad i wasn't there to taste those cakes! they looked cute AND delish.

JENNIE! said...

WoW! Great cakes Andrea! We just finished up a party today too.... fun, but glad it's done :)

Emily said...

You really out did yourself! The cakes look fantastic - you are a good mom.

Skeeter said...

You are crazy lady! Those cakes are awesome!!! The party looks like a hit! GO ANDREA!!!! Roenen's first is in a couple months... No clue what to do yet. HAHAHA!!!