Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Teach A Fish To Build A Dresser (right?)

I am a pretty smart person. But there are some things that are difficult for me to learn ....like algebra, physics or punctuality. Perhaps it's the teaching approach, and not me. Perhaps?
My point is, consider the greatness of Ikea. I love their clever designs and secretly enjoy assembling their furniture because of it's brilliantly engineered execution AND instruction technique. Form and Function. Pieces and a picture book.
Those assembly 'cliff notes' are the greatest. The little man with his friendly talking bubbles are all I need. All I have to do is LOOK to see what goes where and what comes next. None of this tedious reading and explaining. Gobba-gobba-gobba...
Plus, it's like a little game to look at this disaster spread all over the room and guess what will go where. So... would someone explain why math can't be taught the same way?
Anyway, I am obviously still getting around to some of the kids room projects. Much was hinged on getting this dresser for Luke. Now his clothes can go in there, his toys can go where his clothes were, I can empty they playroom and move other furniture in there.... the Leaver Rubix.
Do you remember that picture frame I painted white back in, oh, JANUARY!?! I know you've all be on the edge of your seats on closure for that one, but guess what... I found some mirror paint and painted the glass (trying to achieve and antique look- no go- the stuff is bumkus) and in trying to place it back in the frame, I broke it. Genius! So here is what I've done so far: hung it up. Empty. Waiting for something clever to enter my brain and give it use. I could do the typical and make it a board to pin pictures or something, but is there anything else that would be interesting? All I have come up with is filling with velvet and then put a cut silhouette of Sadie in there as art. Hmmm.
And don't waste your breath. I already tried placing my signed photo of Rob Lowe inside....It doesn't fit. (sigh)

2 comments:

Jewels said...

You are hilarious. Rob Lowe? Really? I like the silhouette idea, or you could just put a groovy "S" in there or something? Not sure what to tell you. Maybe you could find an oval mirror that is close to the same shape, hang it on the wall and hang the frame around it? Grabbing at straws here...straws! What could you do with straws...

Are you going to post about the Twin's Birthday? I wanna see your genius cakes!

anna said...

rob lowe? no way! cigarette and sax ta boot! how did you get that thing signed? you are awesome!

the kids' rooms look sweet! love the wall colors.