Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Sadie & Luke!

Our little twins turned FOUR yesterday. I thought it would be fun to put up a few pictures from their younger years. This explains why I am posting so late today. I got sucked into looking back at all the experiences and got a little distracted. I will admit that I feel exhausted! Having twins is a lot of work and looking at these photos of them as babies reminded me of how tired I was most of the time.
I remember thinking when they get to this age (four), I'll be past all the 'baby' stage and it will get easier...which is mostly true. But I think parenting just has it's seasons of calm and chaos and the weather may vary, but it's still unpredictable.... incredibly beautiful and occasionally annoying.
But what a joy they have been to our family! Sadie has been such an energetic (!) ray of sunshine and smiles. She is so happy to be doing whatever, happy to help and happy to cause trouble. I hope I can help her funnel that fire for good as she grows up.
Lucas is a special boy. After Jacob's passing, I needed a boy and he has been my little gift. He is gentle and sweet and emotional. I just can't kiss him enough and am grateful for these kids every day.









This photo made me laugh. They still do this with food and make those faces in the process. It's super fun picking up after it, too.












Sadie is mischievous and I wouldn't put it past her to guess she is thinking about throwing that rock at something or someone.












Yesterday was a fun day for them. First off, the twins came down to breakfast with the kitchen decorated with balloons and streamers (Dad, I was not fast enough beating them downstairs to blast the Beatles Birthday Song.... but your tradition continues!). Then last night we had a little family Birthday Party. Scott's parents and Sister Amy with her husband Fritz joined us. It was great fun and the food was yummy. Fritz and Amy brought roasted Pork with mashed potatoes and I took a stab at making molten chocolate cakes. Yes... us adults did nicely. :) Mary Jane made the kids a fun Birthday cake, on which they each put four candles (And Elliet added four for MiMi (Mary Jane) as it was her Birthday, too). We had a wonderful dinner and conversation, yummy dessert and the kids opened their presents. MJ made each of them an outfit (which Sadie promptly put on her head here) as well as some great toys. I must say, this group of Leavers are always good at giving the kids presents. Fritz & Amy have a knack for giving cute clothes or cool games/toys. I, on the other hand, am a selfish giver. I wanted to give Luke this cool Pirate Ship I saw last November, but he already had enough Christmas toys so I waited until now. It was so fun ripping that out of the box this morning.... It has little cannons that hide under the floor.... and they shoot out the side of the boat! And you can drop the sails or have the little scallywags walk the plank and..... um, Luke loved it. We played with it so long Elliet was almost late for school. Happy Birthday, Twins!
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MARY JANE!
Folks, I would like to take a small moment of your time to acknowledge this amazing woman who is my Mother-in-law. She is so special and fun and a fabulous 'Mimi' to the kids as well as to me. We love you, MJ! Thank you for all you do for us and the wonderful example you are!
And for those of you waiting my cake reveal, that is for their Birthday Party on Saturday night... hold tight!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday Twins! I can't believe how small they are in that first picture. I was thinking about the night I watched them for you... yikes... sorry about that, but I'm glad we made it through the night! You are so amazing- I wish I could be more like you!

Jewels said...

Oh my gosh - no lie, I got misty looking at their baby pictures! They were such cute babies, I can't believe they are already 4! You are an incredible Mom to them, the entire family talks about how amazing you are - we all admire and look up to you. Those kids are so fortunate to have you as a Mom. Happy Birthday twinners!

And to sweet MJ who I absolutely love. She is fabulous, hope she had a great day!

Emily said...

Looks like a fun birthday for the cute duo! I love that baby picture and now you have me on the edge of my seat waiting for the cake reveal on Saturday.