Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Easter

Easter for me as a kid was a happy day. We got baskets of candy, decorated eggs, had egg hunts with our cousins, etc.
But I do remember the year the Easter Bunny really did come to our house.....
We went to church as usual but when we came home... we found evidence everywhere of trespassing. First there were muddy footprints on the floor ALL OVER THE HOUSE (in retrospect, I bet this bugged my Mom a little, knowing she'd have to mop it all up- but we loved it!). And near the footprints were little gnawed carrots and poop (probably tootsie rolls???).
We followed the path to the back dining room and found the table elaborately dripping with Easter baskets, presents and goodies. It was so awesome. And us kids knew our parents were at church with us, so it had to have been the real Easter Bunny (my parents finally gave in and told my brother and I that my Aunt and Uncle had done it). It was so fun!
So every Easter I think of that year and consider... should I do that? My kids would LOVE it! They are the perfect age for it. And then I think about the work and decide I'll do it next year and grab some cheap plastic eggs, couple bags of candy and call it good. My kids are the luckiest in the whole world!
But we did have a fun day. Besides a little candy, the EB tossed in a cheap umbrella. Ahem- the EB saw them at Target in the $1 section- Hello!? I love that section. And they are spring-ish, right? I don't know what it is with kids and umbrellas. They love them and thrash them to bits. So, hooray for the $1 brellas, brothas.
Then we did the hunt in the yard. Last year, to make the looting "even", I put the kids pictures on their individual eggs. Yeah. That didn't work. They all scrambled to get them no matter who they belonged to. And I'm glad I saved myself the effort this year because they did the same thing, only Sadie is getting smarter and she actually checked the eggs to see what was inside... and put some back! What is she expecting? Godiva?
Dying the eggs is always fun. I love dyeing eggs. I have to use extreme restraint because I want to do half of them myself! It's fun to watch them scribble with crayons and then dump them into four consecutive colors. They turned out splendid as always. I especially love Sadie's blue egg on the far right. It's her "Triops! With three eyes!", she says to me over and over. I think I have They Might Be Giants to thank for that one (It's a good song).
They only lasted about 10 minutes and then we ended up eating half of them. Memo to me: Always boil MORE eggs.
Happy Easter!

7 comments:

Emily said...

The umbrellas are a cute idea and how great were your parents - that's a lot of effort! Oh and I love your new banner!

Jewels said...

Love the umbrella idea - I'll have to that next year! And uh..Mom and Dad never told me about our Aunt and Uncle being the EB. Hm. I have a phone call to make...

Happy Easter!

Stephanie said...

What a fun thing that your parents did! That does sound like a Santa Claus-like commitment though.

Belly Bones Scott said...

Now after seeing Lucas with an umbrella, bunny ears, and hip tilt to one side, the summer ballet classes are out of the picture! DAD

Jessica said...

You're amazing! I know Graham is only 6 months, but we didn't even get him a stuffed bunny! Can't wait to see you!

JENNIE! said...

great banner andrea... i think I'll have to try the bunny poop next year.

anna said...

hm, you mean your easter bunny DOESN'T leave godiva? mine does. cuz i know mine well enough to get what i want. heh heh