Friday, March 21, 2008

Newport 2008

(Warning: Family trip photos and stories)
Hi there! ...after a week of no blogging. Sorry, I know I have been inconsistent. I have nothing fantastic to report for my absence, except for some highlights from our annual Spring Break trip we take with Scott's family in Newport. We left last weekend and first stopped in Corona to see our good friends, the Hills. J & B were our family while we lived in St. Louis and it's a darn shame we don't get together with them more often, being only three hours away. The kids are close in age and had a great time hooting around the house together. The four adults talked constantly until we left. It was like no time had passed. Thanks, Hills, for your awesome hospitality and letting us invade for a day. We loved it!
Next stop, Newport Coast. It always takes a day or so to settle, so after our grocery store stops and unloading everything.... we have had a great week of relaxation. Mostly.
Tuesday we went to Disneyland for the second time with the kids. This time I was more worn out. Had the newness bubble popped? It's the 'Happiest place on earth'? I'd like to see the statistics on that... because the ratio of time waiting in line for a 90 second span is not happiness. So I propose that they put some of their marketing brilliance into the line waiting itself. Serve drinks, cold grapes, have little sliding stools for us to roll on as we progress through the line (small liability issue here), maybe have some street performers blowing fire, comedy acts, that sort of thing. THEN talk to me about it being a happy place. And kids are troopers to tolerate this. Mine freak out when I put the ketchup too close to the chicken...yet they exhume patience for Pooh. Go figure. But it was still fun (on the rides) and being with Scott's family was great. We stayed for a long time and the weather was beautiful. Here are some snippets from the days fun: (with commentary. Totally! Who's blog are you reading?!)
First of all, how cute is that picture of Elliet and Lucas in the teacups! That is such a magical ride, day or night. I loved the colored light swirling around our heads as the kids tried to gasp for air between giggling. What a memory.

Character sighting!! The kids got to see Mickey, Jen and I got a picture with Goofy. (Harsh? Don't sympathize yet- make sure you look at his face)











I actually like the Dumbo ride. But today they kept having technical difficulties while we were IN the actual line. So.... about 70 minutes later, Sadie and I picked the purple one. But look at her face.... no matter!









Here are Tyler and Sadie in a happy moment. At the happiest place on earth. I am happy that they are happy.









The next days have been a blur of laziness and last minute planning. We have been swimming far too much at the pool, The girls went shopping, the boys went to the BYU game, I took the kids to the mall to ride the carousel (it was broken in Fantasy Land), running on newly discovered nearby trails, cycling, and we hit the beach.
I am still trying to get familiar with this area and am excited to find new things each time we come.
I will say though how great this land is that we live. Talk about seeing opportunity everywhere you turn and it's abundant. We are blessed to live in this country and it's beauty. Thank you, California- our family had a great time.

3 comments:

Jewels said...

Ahhh, you are so brilliant - there is far too much to comment on. But I'll try! Hey! Your kids are troopers for waiting in line for so long. I'll have to start training my kids for that, now. Could Tyler look more like Eric? And Scott does look like Goofy. Sorry, dude - you know I think you are ultra dapper, but the slouch and mush face...priceless. Welcome home!

Mark said...

Andrea, you had me actually laughing out loud for several minutes, while reading your blog.

Thank you. I'm glad you and the family had a blast.

Emily said...

What a great trip! You are so mean/funny about Scott looking like Goofy in that picture. Is he aware that is on here?