Saturday, March 27, 2010

North Again

This past week I took the kids and went up to visit my family for a quick couple of days. Scott and I had tickets for Vampire Weekend but he wasn't able to join me. Would that keep me home? NO WAY. Love him but come on now. Rich & Randi joined me along with Erica (who was already up there visiting fam) and we had a great time singing and dancing among a large group of unfamiliar wannabees. The other two days were not enough to fit in everything. The time goes quickly when you shop with the girls (Mom+sis) and hang with everyone. I love being with them. Along with VW, some other new sightings were my parents canary named Elvis (who sings so beautifully and loud it sounds like the garden of Eden) and go to family lunch and get pictures with Grandmother. Luke had his first sleep over with the cousins and I got lucky thrift shopping per my Mom & Juls. Why is this monumental enough to tell you? Because thrift shopping stinks. I will tell you why. It takes a long time to look through those places and the effort does not usually pay off (not for me anyway). In most cases I will really like something in the store, get it home and it does not shine in it's cool vintage way... it now looks like all the old crappy furniture/accessories/what-have-you that we hauled country wide during years of school. The interior design magazines are good, people- that mix of old and new is a hard skill to master. So here we are- walking into this place and I'm drawn to many things that I put back down with great discipline. But! I did end up with a few that I never came with buyers remorse. Miracle! So I wanted to share these victorious finds. Do indulge me and be impressed, won't you? (lie if you have to)
As always, so fun to see everyone. Thanks, Mom for the long talks and hanging out with me. And Randi for the new Lilac polish- I LOVE IT. (Randi/Jess- did you? It's so great, no?)















IMAGE 1: Found a pile of old LDS art and liked this picture of Mary as a mother. Makes you think about what kind of mother she was and the kind of home atmosphere the Savior was raised in. Then I think about the kind of mother I am and the home atmosphere my kids are in and hang my head in deep, repentant shame. So I had to get it! (teehee) How's about that groovy as all get out barely-blue pressed glass mug? Horse heads and a chevron pattern? MINE. Cool little miniature furniture for... I don't know what. My only idea was to put them in a shadow box frame and make it look like a doll house wall. Weird, right? You don't have to tell me. I know. Vintage glitter! The stuff we used as kids on construction paper Christmas deco's- chunky square shaped greatness. IMAGE 2: Thanks to my dear sis Juls who found this and let me have it. I'd been pawning through rows of paintings trying to find something perfectly tacky and odd and she found this- how great is it?! True paint-by-numbers winterscape in muted colors. She sure loves me. A random wire drink holder which, once painted a fun candy color and filled with clear glasses, will be a cool pencil holder indeed. And finally, a cool old boat. I have this thing for boats. Don't know why. Love red & light blue together so this was a keeper. It's another thing I see possibly framing...? Any other ideas?


6 comments:

Tayva said...

As much fun as it was for you, it was TWICE as much for me!!! I loved that weekend---come back! XO, Love, Mom

Jewels said...

I have an idea! Gimme the boat. And you are welcome for that painting...I'm grimmacing right now because I still can't believe I gave that up. Alas...I have no place for it. Oh! I DO have a idea for reals, a great way for you to pay me back for my abundance of generosity. Call me!

La La Land said...

Looks like fun! You definitely scored big with that boat.

I would love to see you sometime before we are old and gray. Let's figure that out!

And please tell me which lilac polish you have. I just bought three purple shades, but none of them are just right.

Kjrsten said...

awesome finds! I love the BOAT especially. I have a paint by numbers, my mom makes fun of it because she is a watercolor artist in real life. I get the doll house vision. I feel ya.

Andrea said...

Laura- It's the OPI "Do You Lilac It?" It looks a little teen in the bottle but so good on. And it would be fun to meet up! Let's try for this summer when I'm up there longer.

avey said...

Andrea, I Love the boat.....but I have a REALLY cool boat (made by you). It's one of my most fav "treasures" and makes me happy to look at it....
I miss you terribly.
Avey