Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Festivities Part One

Throughout December there was a lot going on. I have more video footage of this kindergarten program than I do pictures so this will have to suffice, but it was so funny. Luke, as usual, was very expressive with his moves and as he was on the end of the front row, not one move was missed. Open arms, jazz hands, swaying to and fro, eyes up and down... hysterical.
The kids also had a few school parties, one of which I assisted with where they made gingerbread houses with the 4th graders. What a mess! But so fun.







A good friend of mine grew up decorating elaborate G-houses and we talked about getting together to do them this year. As soon as the kids were out of school, a few of us got together, helped the kids with theirs and then we got to work on ours. The kids used grahams and we baked our own pieces. Michelle had cool laminated templates and a perfect system down- chilled dough rolled out onto parchment, placed the template and cut with a large, straight scraper (pressing down like a cookie cutter) which resulted in perfect straight edges, then cut out the parchment piece it was on and lifted it right onto the cookie sheet. I'm telling you- they were PERF. No need for those boxed kits- it looked as good as that and tastes better to boot. Too bad mine were already done when I showed up to see her expertise- I was using a half sheet of paper as my template + guesswork and some were crooked, etc. as well as mutantly tall and weird. We were all joking that I had made the great and spacious building in the neighborhood. Frosting saved me on the construction but we have decided this is a new tradition so I'm ready to do it right next year. I'll post the pics of my house in Academe soon so you can feel good about yourself. :)
All the kids had a good time embellishing. I was impressed with the creativity some of the kids used. One had toothpics stuck in swirly hershies kisses for patio umbrellas and Blake (pictured here) made the Costco mega graham house. Nothing like candy and cookies to wax creativity, eh?

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Is that an Angel in front of Elliet's house? Love her.

Yennigirl said...

I found a picture of us from back in the day making gingerbread (aka graham cracker) houses at the church - must have been a YW activity or something!