Thursday, April 2, 2009

That's Some Nice Trash

I am a woman familiar with manias. This blog is just a small representation of the many fleeting interests that consume my head.
And I have a new one. A smelly one. A drrrrty one.
COMPOST!
Doesn't that sound SO fun, kids?! Banana peels are your friend!
I am discovering that this is the magic key to growing a successful garden. Which also means that my poor current garden attempt will be well on it's way before I can use my first compost batch.... ah well.
I started to save all my organic kitchen scraps and they added up pretty fast so I had to hurry yesterday and go buy a big trash bin, drill the top half of it with holes and toss in my smelly ook. Now I'm looking for the 'brown' part to the recipe- the leaves, twigs, etc. that need to be mixed in. It's like the sock puppets all over again, how I would look at socks in a different way. Well I found yesterday that any yard workers with piles of weeds and clippings would start my mind plotting... and I would think to myself, "Would they think it strange if I pulled up right now and threw that big bag of leaves in my car..? Puedo tener yo esta basura, Amigos? Maybe if I waited until they were a little further up the street they won't see me THROWTHEBODYINTHEBACKOFTHECAR". (At least that's what it feels like so I chicken out)
If any of you local pals do some yard work soon, call me. I will happily take some of your yard yuck away. Until then, I'm off to Starbucks to get some coffee grinds. Mmmm, can't you just smell the fruity flavors that will be floating around my garden? You're "green" with envy, I know it.

6 comments:

Tayva said...

A FABULOUS post---it reads like a comic monologue! Go green! (and best of luck finding some great yard waste) XO, Mom

JENNIE! said...

teach me....

La La Land said...

I love it. My Dad is an avid gardener, so growing up we had a compost pile in the back yard. People thought we were such weird hippies, but you wouldn't believe the amazing harvest!! Can't wait to see your garden!

Jessica said...

I can smell the compost now! Ever since Connie (my Virginian friend) taught me about compost I have also been fascinated by it. Also, do you have any picts from our drawing class?

Bryan Crew said...

I'm with Jennie- tell me how. Do you have a "recipe"? I will share my "brown" with you if you share with me... :)

Yennigirl said...

I have 2 bags of leaves etc. on my curb if you want to come get them! :)