Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spring Break

We had fun this year returning to Newport for another get away. I won't bore you with a play-by-play, but it was definitely filled with a lot of activity. Our friends from St. Louis, Brandon & Jackie Hill + their kids joined us and we had a great time. The kids are similar in age and get along great together. The forecast predicted 50/50 weather but it didn't rain a drop on us the entire time. Nice!
Here are some fun things we did:
*Scott found an awesome park just minutes from where we stayed while on a bike ride. Each trip we discover a little more and this park is a keeper. Great, big trees and a river where Luke happily tortured the ducks, chasing them around to death and monkey bars Elliet approves of.
*Chilling at Griffith Park, picnic and a ride on the retro Carousel, built back in the 30's! (we were supposed to go to the zoo but the line out the door frightened us away like a big, diseased snake)
*Legoland (and dinner with the Allens in Carlsbad. A plus!)
*Bike rides/Running along the beach.... grasping a life preserver, Hasselhoff by my side....
(more like panting with my tongue out at 15mph because I am training for this)
*Disneyland on the twins Birthday! It was 'supposed' to rain that day which, I think, scared away much of the Spring Break crowd. Lines were short, the kids loved wearing their special buttons and we hit CA Adventure for the first time. And rode CA Screamin' for the first time. And learned what my lunch tasted like coming back up for the first time (Not really. I loved it).
*Luke lost his FIRST TOOTH!
*Lounging by the pool, having long talks with Jackie, going to the beach...okay, okay... so I got to relax a little....

It was a fun, whirlwind of a trip. We really enjoyed catching up with the Hills. They are great friends. Thanks for joining us, guys! We returned with a day to get some quick groceries and semi-plan Easter. Some people think that Valentines Day is commercialized? Holy cow! Talk about all the fuss that the Easter bunny hands out. Ours is a simple guy. At least this year he was. :) More on that coming next.
Happy Spring!

3 comments:

Jewels said...

That carousel looks rad! What a fun trip, you guys do the coolest things...

La La Land said...

Oh how I miss SoCal! Your Disneyland pics are great (love the carousel one!)

Kjrsten said...

so that's where you were! You weren't just pulling my leg and saying you were out of town but really hiding in the subburbs the whole time I was there! On a side note, the Park was PACKED with people and KIDS because of vegas' spring break. My buddy who lives near RRocks and rides/runs up there regularly had never seen it so crowded. It was like the grand canyon I tell you! I guess a slow economy makes for a lot more staycations than usual. Anyway, I did have a good time in your little town, I got me a tan too! Bonus! But I am afraid Portland is sucking it right out of me faster than you can say rain forest. By the way sasquatch festival, what are your thoughts?

http://www.sasquatchfestival.com/

other music events to consider... the "capitol hill block party"...
in seattle usually in JULY. where I saw band of horse before anyone new they were more than hillbillies with banjos. Always good bands put on by KEXP Seattle's best RADIO EVER! (public)
And then there is also bumbershoot (seattle), musicfest NW (portland), and the always tempting Austin City Limits!!! food for musical thought!

I should stop leaving such long comments and send an email instead... one of these days!

word to your moms
kjrst