Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easters

Easter was a little lax this year as we just returned from vacation and I didn't have the bandwidth to go all out. Sunday was a beautiful day. The weather was perfect. We had a wonderful meeting at church and it was good to really reflect on what the day is all about and what an amazing price was paid for us.
As for the festive fun, I was talking to friends during class and they had all kinds of cool plans, things they were going to make for dinner, bake, etc.... so I came up with an idea in my head. An idea that matched my motivation (translation: a 50% cool idea).
After church we had an Easter egg hunt in the back yard. I bought those eggs that are disguised to look like grass and rocks, you know? And they work! It was fun to try and find them. And included there is a picture of Luke showing you the hole in his bottom row of teeth. After the kids gathered, they devoured and I went to work on my 'idea'.
So I'm thinking earlier that day and I says to myself, I says.... maybe I'll make cupcakes (as I think through ingredients in my cupboard... check, check, check) and put coconut on top (um.. yeah, I think I have a half a bag deep in the back... check) with jelly bean eggs (left over from kids school treats- check) and some kind of a handle.... check.
My friend told me how to color coconut so I was good to go! I mean, hey- they may actually look cute.
I make the cupcakes (from scratch- this is what happens when you don't plan. Note to self: Food storage must have emergency cake mixes) and start on the frosting. Oops! What frosting! I barely have enough eggs, I don't have powdered sugar... erg! So I do some make-shift Butter cream like what I learned a few weeks ago in class. LUCKILY it worked but I didn't have enough to frost all the cupcakes (ghetto-magnifico). Now for the fun. I'll make the grass a soft, light yellow color. Here goes with the food coloring and POWZA. This is what I got. Radioactive, electric yellow easter grass. Oh I couldn't help laughing at myself. By now I was going to finish these dang things, especially because it doesn't really matter what they ended up looking like, right? I ditch a creative handle and use a pipe cleaner, squish in the beans and done.
Naturally, the kids wouldn't have cared if I put broccoli on top. They ate them up and it was a seasonal treat so a happy ending for all.
Now back to real life. Things are getting very busy for me and I don't think it will stop until September. I have some fun projects that I want to do but they keep getting pushed aside for designing Rich & Randi's wedding invites, making school play costumes (and there are a LOT), doctors appointments, Kindergarten registry hiccups, preparing for Ragnar, other design work for friends.... and Girl Next Door should be next month!
But I am grateful to be busy, grateful to help, grateful for my wonderful family, my amazing husband, my delightful children, grateful for good friends and to live in such a beautiful place, grateful for good health and safety, grateful for a home, and most of all, grateful for the gospel. The world can be so wonderful if we make it so. Now.... I've avoided responsibilities enough. Back to life I go!

5 comments:

La La Land said...

love those cupcakes!

Kjrsten said...

Easters! HA! NACHOOOOOOOOO!

cute cupcakes. they don't look radioactive, as long as frosting and coconut is involved they look totally edible!

Jessica said...

Your "Radioactive, Electric" comment made me laugh for about one minute straight! I totally know how that is. "Oh, I'll just add a little of this...What!!!!! I swear I just added...."
It happened to me recently that is why I think it is so funny!

Paige Nelson said...

I'm glad you guys had a good Easter! And I love your creative cupcakes. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love your children...Sadie is sooo smart and has the best comments and Luke makes me laugh harder then anyone I have ever met, it also helps that they are ADORABLE and always wearing the cutest clothes! Can't wait to see them again next week. :)

JENNIE! said...

love the cupcakes and the banner... I was a loser mom this year for easter. there's always next year right?