Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sock Me

A couple of weeks ago the kids and I needed something to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon. So we did what any normal people would do. We made SOCK PUPPETS!
I bought this random kits on discount weeks before so we broke it out and made four animals: A pink horse, a yellow kitty, a snake and a butterfly. It was so insanely funny to watch them all talk in distorted voices and mostly hearing the infectious laughter and giggles. Elliet quickly requested we build a theater to do a "show", but we did not have any big boxes. So the leel puppets waited.
Scott ordered a new bike and it of course, was enclosed in a nice big box! It was perfect. So this last weekend I brought it inside and cut out a hole, found some fabric in my trash pile and stapled ghetto curtains across the top, complete with fancy pipe cleaner ties. Voila! Curtains in no time. I asked Elliet to make a sign which she taped up and we were off.
At first the kids didn't quite know what to do... they just sat back there attempting to tell stories but mostly just laughing at each other, so I got behind and did a quick sketch of the snake trying to eat the butterfly. What a fun moment that was- I don't think I've personally made Luke laugh that hard ever. Oh boy- I wanted to get that on camera but alas, my hands were in socks.
But we had a lot of fun and even got Dad involved. I have learned that no matter how fun I try to make something, he can come in and bring it up about 10 notches on the humor scale. Yes, that is his FOOT in the picture being the yellow kitty. We all got some good laughs.
Now I can't fold laundry without looking at some of the socks with dark thoughts of mutilations- yarn hair, three googly-eyed martians!
So I say, if you need a good laugh in your life, it's time to make a sock puppet.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

That looks so funny! Did I leave Marty's sock puppets in Vegas? No really, I couldn't find them when I got home.

Belly Bones Scott said...

And we even got grumpy Dad involved...:p

Jewels said...

'Alas, my hands were in socks'. This is the best idea ever. I want to copy!! Your curtains are so not ghetto, they're even gathered at the top! Nicely done, I'm so proud. Next time I'm in town we are going to put on our own puppet show starring 'Stah...lovah..."

JENNIE! said...

love that... i may have to copy

anna said...

i can't decide who's more entertaining...luke and his sound effects or grumpy dad and his acting skills? either way, i'm laughing out loud. to myself. truly. thank you.

Jules said...

What a creative mom you are!