Monday, March 16, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

So I did it.
I planted my little attempt of a garden. I started small so my failure won't be so devastating. :)
I went to the Nursery and I stood there looking at all the young, promising plants content in the trellis shade. I did feel a little bad for the tiny guys that ended up on my cart. I could feel their groaning soil. Poor fellas. But it was fun work. I got the soil, a shovel and was on my way.
My friend put in this raised area last fall next to our house which the kids have played in for months. After excavating toy tractors, barbies and rusty hot wheels, I needed to till it will the shovel to soften it all up, then I mixed in the new fertilized dirt so it was ready. Man! What did I get myself into!? These things better live or I'm going to kill them. Sadie and Luke were out there "helping" me (i.e. watching me or throwing rocks back into the garden) so they enjoyed the fun part of placing the plants.
We dug the hole, placed them in and got them all planted before I rushed them off to preschool. Tada! It is complete. I realized that a garden must be like having a pet since it's something I have to feed, water and take care of. But unlike a pet, I will put it in a salad. So by darn, Grow!
We have been observing it through the kitchen window and the kids are helping me water it. Doesn't it look so happy? Maybe the plants aren't so frightened after all. I wonder what they are thinking?


7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the little plants thoughts, I'm sure they'll do just fine! I've decided that this year I'm going to stick with my kitchen garden aka sprouts!

Jewels said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Erica said...

I have faith in you AND your plants. I will talk to them this summer and they will want to grow.

Tayva said...

Your plants are the luckiest little guys in the world! How great they look! I want to come and tell them how fortunate they are to be in your garden! I'd say, "Buck up, lads! You could be in MY plot!" XO

Yennigirl said...

Your are TOO talented for your own good! Planting a garden AND being able to read their minds! Not fair! I can't wait to try your pancake recipe. We only use White Whole Wheat in our house.

oh snap said...

haha.. just make sure you read to them. My plants have always liked Thoreau.

JENNIE! said...

oh man, i want a garden... teach me.