Sunday, March 15, 2009

Eat Your Wheatcakes

You know all this talk-y-talk about food storage and eating what you store... I have to be honest. I want to have food storage but I think I need to really modify the suggested system. We don't eat a lot of the stuff that you store. I don't use a lot of canned food or dry, boxed brands that everyone is stocking up with using coupons. And sure- the argument is always there: If your family was starving, you'd eat it. And you bet I would BUT that doesn't utilize the principal of eating what you store, ah? I've been trying to think of meals we eat frequently that contain ingredients we could rotate from FS and also avoid boredom or sacrifice taste (AND health). So here goes my trek to share (& invite!) some yummy, gourmet and sensible menu items gathered for a tasty tragedy. Who's with me! I mean, it might be horrific outside, but it won't be in your mouth!
Lately my focus has been wheat. I have baked with wheat flour for years but recently purchased a wheat grinder to begin making and using up those cans/bags of FS. Plus it tastes better and is better for you anyway. Woot woot. I've been experimenting with both the hard white and hard red wheat. I make this recipe at least one morning a week but just tried it using the hard white. It was SO good- like sour, fluffy buttermilk pancakes. But even if you buy the bagged flour, this is still the best whole wheat pancake recipe I have used. They aren't flat or dense. Try this out on your fam and see if you like. Enjoy!

WHOLE WHEAT BUTTERMILK PANCAKES

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 T. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs

Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add wet ingredients and wisk until combined. The recipe suggests letting the mix sit for 10 minutes (but I never do that). Pour onto griddle and cook as usual.
Options: I love to add chopped pecans or blueberries to the uncooked side before flipping.

7 comments:

Heather Lynn said...

Hey Andrea, These sound yummy. I feel the same way you do about food storage. You may also like my blender pancake recipe...

http://simplyhealthful-recipes.blogspot.com/2008/12/blender-pancakes.html

In this recipe there is no need to grind your wheat. Check it out!

Jessica said...

I have been thinking about this very same thing. I've wanted your wheat pancake recipe for a while now and keep forgetting to ask. Thanks!

Paige Nelson said...

Hey I just found your blog and I wanted to say hi really quick. I have to tell you that I just love Lucas and Sadie so much! They are hilarious, sweet, so smart, and our class just wouldn't be the same without them. Oh how I love my precious primary class. Haha. :)

Kristina said...

I love them! I make them at least twice a week. Thanks for sharing! I haven't found any more good recipes. When I do...I'll let you know!

Erica said...

You can't go wrong with Buttermilk! We will try these on Sunday, that is pancake day for us. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Bryan Crew said...

Okay. Do I need to stick up for coupon-clippers? There's nothing forcing you to clip and use to buy nothing but pillsbury and cake mix...I clip and save "ubers" on tp, diapers, household stuff, etc. Are you telling me that you have to have organic stuff to clean your bootay?

Megan said...

Totally with you on the FS. I am reading blogs while watching conference--I know--multi-tasking at it's worst :), but I think this post substitutes nicely for one of the talks right? We are going to try the pancakes right now gal.