Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sun Sun Sun Here It Comes

The final week of February was a complex one (some deets I'll spare you). Things are starting to fill up. Almost every night we had something going on. Scott has been going to Soccer practice a few nights a week and with Luke's soccer starting up in addition to current after-school dance classes, I'm beginning to feel the scheduling skeevies. But we all managed to have some fun in there as well. My friend had a little Birthday gathering on Monday so we went to see that Shopaholic movie and, um... wasn't a fan of the film but girls nights are fun anyway. Then Wednesday was one of the funnest Book Club meetings yet. And then a Stake RS meeting on Thursday which was wonderful (and is especially wonderful with tasty food before and yummy dessert after! I know, shame on me. Summer is coming and I MUST STOP. Though, they did discuss food storage so... I'm kind of doing that in my thighs....).
Friday I took the twins to play group and it was so fun. My neighbor and friend Pam was hosting this time and I could not believe the set up she had going at her house. A jumpy house was inflated in her courtyard, she had toys and blocks out for the little kids, snacks neatly spread out in the kitchen (in labeled glass containers at that) and her side yard already complete with fun things like a swing set/slide, those metal-bar, spiderman dome things and a big trampoline. She had kids running all through her house and it was fun to catch up with all the fun women in our ward. But here was the best part, the magical part that makes something as trivial as a play group very blog worthy: Pam had all this stuff ready on a neat little tray to take outside. Stuff to make individual bags of ice cream for the kids. Wha?! I had never heard of such a thing. Have you!? (OTHER than you Girls Camp Queens) It was SO cool. I think I am one of three people who probably haven't heard of this. You take some half & half, vanilla and sugar and put it in a pint size ziploc bag and seal with as little air as possible. Then place that bag in a gallon ziploc with ice and rock salt. Wrap the whole thing in a kitchen towel (so you're hands don't freeze) and knead, mush, squish that back for a about 5 minutes and ta-da! You have a little baggie of fresh, vanilla ice cream. You just open that little bag, toss in some sprinkles, give the kids a spoon and let them eat it up. I pulled a caveman-joe and bit off the corner of my ice cream bag and then squoze that into my cup (of course, scissors would have been more sensible and civilized). But think of the fun! Fresh fruit, caramel, etc.... so so fun. We are adding this to our summer repetoire fer shure.
By the time Friday came I was ready to just sit and snuggle with Scott on the couch and not move with a good movie. So we did. We watched Vitus. We read subtitles. We ate popcorn and Junior mints. We made jokes. We got tummy aches. We liked it. :-)
The warming temperatures have been WONDERFUL and birds are starting to sing. No, srsly. I know that reads like something from Enchantment, but they really are and I suppose it does make me feel a bit like Sleeping Beauty as they chirp when I run by....
So now we March into March! I will have some fun adventures and follies to share, so stay tuned. (Oh- and good music links when I finally get that updated)
Enjoy the sun this week! Daylight savings is 7 days away!

5 comments:

Jewels said...

Oh snap - I totally forgot about Daylight Savings!! This post was hilarious, sounds like you've been busy with crazy fun. Yes. Crazy. And I totally want to try that ice cream thing! Mmmm, ziplock softserve.

Yennigirl said...

HOW have you not heard about ice cream in a bag? Oh wait, at Girls Camp all you did was complain about not being at the They Might Be Giants concert . . . and Luke isn't old enough to be in scouts, so just you wait my friend. Scouts is coming . . . don't worry, it's a good thing!!

Yennigirl said...

Oh, and popcorn AND Junior Mints? Now I remember that we did always like the same snacks! AND I was noticing the birds singing this morning.

Aim said...

Wow, our ward play groups are just meet in the nursery room during the winter and the park in the summer. I have made the ice cream in to sizes of cans, I'm going to have to try the baggie method. Have you seen the ice cream balls. It's the same idea, it looks like a hamster ball. But you roll it around until the ice cream is ready to eat.

Kjrsten said...

DUDE!
with a playgroup like that I NEED to move to Vegas! And by the way...
Why don't you live in Portland! Let's talk music, yeah? I really don't know another mom with such great taste in muszak other than you. I mostly hang with the college kids at shows! Now as for your side bar, I heart A.C. and A.B. too, but still haven't given their new albums a good enough listen yet to replace their old ones on my IPOD. and also because I have been lazy about updating it, I just need to have them play in the background for a few days... then I am sure they will replace my love of their former albums that are now sentimental to me- A.C.'s strawberry jam and A.B.'s armchair apocrypha- I do need to move on. I have been liking MGMT lately too. this really should have been an email! OK I will stop there, but with one more suggestion, you guys should think about coming to the sasquatch festival in eastern WA over memorial day, I promise you will NOT be dissapointed, KOL headlining, enough said.
PEACE HOMES