Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lake Powell 2010


Ahh Lake Powell. How I love thee.
My parents and siblings (+ spouses) were all able to make the trip again this summer, albeit with much sacrifice. Work, kids and other responsibilities are difficult to get away from but it is always worth it. We are really close and I love this time together. Here are some of the things we did!

These views are from our beach. We were quite a way up the channel where the canyon walls were taller and more narrow.
I also get really fat this week. We each take turns planning a couple of menu items and everyone brought great stuff. Which reminds me... I need recipes. Post them here please! Randi- I tried to find those Mango Chicken wraps and the recipe I used did not taste the same so please send it over. Jess, the BBQ chicken. Mom & Juls, you too... (Mom, don't forget the apple syrup. Wait... do. I can't have that in my house.).
Poor Marty, so starved and hungry. Time to eat!

One of our exploring days brought us to Rainbow Bridge. It was so freaking hot we all dipped in for the short hike to the arch. It didn't help much. We were still hot. Can you tell? :)

Poozles. Many, many poozles. This is a very much love/hate thing we do. But with good tunes and cold drinks, one can endure even the best album cover nightmare.

Another great pastime is cruising around during the twilight time of night. This is my favorite time of the day. We saw some beautiful sunsets and found some neat things....(that's me!)

One of our little exploration hikes brought us to this beach of layered sandstone. So cool! Like tightly pressed brittle sheets of paper. I found some that thin, too. And zen I crlushed them veeth my muscles!

Another night we saw this unassuming pocket in the wall and realized it opened up to a large room that fit the boat. Would you risk it and go in? Same here! (whatliesbeneath!)

It was big enough to fit inside and spin around. Dance party there next Friday. You in?


Here is Scott. He is spooked (not really).

Another night we found this tall sliver that, from the front, blends right in with the wall.


These times are so magical. Warm air and smooth water with all this beauty around. *tear*

On Sunday we killed the calm hours with a craft! Last year we made rockets. This year we stenciled Tshirts. I brought a can of neon yellow spray paint & we found a can of black. Again, good music and cold drinks can help anyone get their crafty on.


We went on some fun hikes, caught frogs, read books, played Rock Band, wake surfed, saw millions of stars... on and on. On Sunday we had FHE floating out in the bay at night and my Mom commented on how this place is special because it is represents our family.
Is that why I love it? Because my family is awesome?! :) Thanks Mom/Dad, Marty/Jess, Cody/Juls & Rich/Randi. We had a wonderful time!

And what better way to spend an afternoon than brush up your mad synchronized diving skillz?

6 comments:

Jessica said...

What a great summary! I'm still smiling from the video! I don't know where I was... making din din maybe!

Love you!

PS. Got my wreath up and it is the most perfect size. I love it!

Brian said...

Dearest Awa, you captured the magic of this most wonderful trip! Thanks for taking the time to post all of this, and I hereby designate you to be the chief historian next year! And remember, next year the trip will be two days longer. Woo hoo!

Tayva said...

Beautiful week; beautiful photos. Well said.

Jewels said...

I am CRYING I am laughing so hard at that video. We are a bunch of idiots. A bunch of hilarious, loving, marvelous idiots.

Yennigirl said...

Beauty! . . . Joy! . . . Love!! Looks like you had a great time!

Randi Patch said...

I love this! I am so glad I captured such great synchronized diving footage!
I will send you that recipe right now.