Monday, August 9, 2010

May We Present

So - months ago (MONTHS! I am a loser) my friend came to me with two curtains (that she was about to donate away) and an idea. She asked if I could make a puppet curtain out of them. The deal was make one for her and one for myself.
After figuring out how to do some of the steps, here is how they finally ended up. Finally finished, I should say. It's the brain work that slows me down cuz, you know, I'm kind of slow up there. But once I got that figured out, they went together really fast. I will try to get steps up in the Academe site soon (promises, promises) if anyone is interested.
It's edged with bias tape so I could slide a dowel in each side preventing sagging when hanging. This top picture was the finished result but I thought it needed a little fanfare so I embroidered the letters on felt and made a little flag banner. Awww! There are two pics of this- one with triangle banners and one with notched square banners.
After adding this fun fringe on the back, I realized that the viewers wouldn't really see it... but at least the performer feels a bit fancy.
Then a little tension rod and tada! hung and ready to play.
This spawned days of creativity with the kids. It was really fun to play with. I pulled out my pipe cleaners, little fuzzy puffs and googly eyes and we made all kinds of things. I tried to make a marionette with old blocks. She is always surprised.
The kids were clever with their bugs. We tied them with fish line on BBQ skewer sticks so they could 'fly' around. Big dragonflies down to teeny tiny bees (a simple fuzz ball with googly eyes).
Elliet made all these beautiful flowers. My fave is the Dr. Suess looking bouqet now permanantly resting in my office.
You have a couple of weeks before school starts. Go make some puppets!




3 comments:

Tayva said...

a-MAZE-ing. I saw it in real life and still can't believe how well you thought all that out, and that you did it! Are you kidding me??! I've had projects on hold for years! Very impressive, sweetie. XO

Randi Patch said...

You are such a fun and crafty mom!

Pamela said...

ooooooohhhhh, i love that curtain!