Thursday, May 22, 2008

Key Glee

Last night my cell phone stopped working. Awesome. I went to bed knowing that was one more thing I was going to have to take care of today.... so when I woke up and decided to go for a run, I didn't realize that this would be a day where I would really need it.
Ahhh. A beautiful morning. The temps have dropped a little so I thought I would get in a nice run up at Red Rock. Do you remember me posting images from this run months ago when it was dark and cold? Now the desert is lush and green and there is growth everywhere. I went up here last week for a run and was so taken with the life now breathed into the surroundings. I thought it would be cool to take pictures of what it looks like so you, my enamored readers, could see the change.
So off I go. I park, I get my key, my camera and lock my car. It feels great outside...I'm listening to good music, snap a photo here, snap one there.... so pretty.
I am just about half way through the loop (so the furthest from my car) and it happens. I drop my key. I'm in an open clearing on the dirt trail and glance down casually because it should be right there by my foot. It's not. I step back and widen my survey. Still no key. No panic.... it's a key! It's black with silver... it can't be that hard to spot on this red/brown dirt. But no. It is NO WHERE to be seen. I searched every little surrounding plant, poked the base of the cactus, raked the trail on my knees three+ times trying to sift through the loose stones in case it sunk in the soft sand. Never found it. I think I looked for over an hour. I won't go into the dramatic emotions when you are all alone in the wilderness talking to yourself, but it was interesting. I had no choice other than to finish my run and face the fact that I would probably have to hitch a ride from some stranger (spooky) or walk to the Visitors Center, use a phone (unless the stranger would give me a ride home... more spooky), call Scott and have him come get me. Luckily when I got to my car there were some land management guys fixing the back gate and I asked to use one of their phones (hooray for spotty cell service!). Scott had found an extra key at home (I thought I had lost the last one and was preparing for my day of getting a new key and a ride to my car) and came to my rescue. Three hours later I finally returned home.
Oh.... and then I spent the rest of the morning back and forth from Apple swapping my phone.
How was your Thursday? I hope it was nice.....

1 comment:

Jewels said...

Oh dude, I'm so sorry! I HATE when that happens. Every time I lose a key I can hear Dad's lecture in my head about why it's so important to have a hide-a-key somewhere on your car. But have I done that? Never.