Friday, July 17, 2009

July In Provo Pt. 2

Despite not having much of a plan, we ended up filling the time quite easily. Sometimes I get anxious when I am home because I am torn between relaxing like Dr. Chevalier or going non stop. Each make me consider the other. :) Having a plan usually helps me with this but this time we didn't have a plan so it did stress me out a little. I know. So hi-may...
A fun new destination this trip were some water parks. Since the community pool water slide was a success at home, we took the kids to Seven Peaks. I forgot that waiting, all wet, in a long line for a slide can be boring. And weird.... (mostly because you notice body details of soggy strangers standing with you in line). But the kids didn't mind and hearing them laugh all the way down was worth it.
We also went to Veterans Pool. An old location I went to since I was a wee kid that has lasted all these years and been added upon. Way back when there was a large painting of a friendly cartoon dolphin painted on the floor of the deep end. An image that gave me the eebie-geebies every time I dared to go off the high diving board and avoided touching with my toes at all costs. Why? Because it was going to grab me! So when we ascended the tall stair case for the water slides, my 34 year old self glanced over to that end of the pool to make sure IT couldn't see me. Whew! He's gone. All was good in the land again. (Dearest old mates from my past, do you remember this??)
We also visited Jess' home and swam in their pool. I love their back yard. After coming here a few times post 4th of July parade to BBQ & swim with her fun family, it's like a part of summer that must be done. It was quieter this time, obviously, and that wasn't half bad either. Scott napped in the hammock while Jess and I talked and surveyed the kiddies swim and chalk executions. Look at those trees and shade..... Ahhhh... (Hugh! Where are my grapes?!)
After lunch at the park one day, we went with Tracy + clan to the BYU Art Museum. This was GREAT. I recommend this to anyone who can go. Walter Wick, who does the I Spy childrens books, is currently featured there along with another amazing artist named Dan Steinhilber.
The images from that visit are a bit fuzzy (sorry) but you can get an idea of the fun. The WW stuff was great- half of his work using illusion, very M.C. Escher, so it was cool to explain some of the visual tricks to the kids. The rest were really cool models and sets for photos and stories. Check out the snappy mini village! So cool. I spy a vampire, a gate and moon...You push a button and the town lights come on. I took a pick with Luke & Grace and zoomed in for my own. Pretty neat, eh?
The Dan Steinhilber side was especially groovy. He uses every day items for his work. Big wads of balloons, garbage bags, sauce packets, etc. In a dark room he had floor fans aimed in a corner of packing peanuts. Every few seconds they would turn on and blow those peanuts in a contained whirlwind that we could not keep the kids out of. Really cool. Try this at home. Luckily, this exhibit was extended through August. So local buddies? I suggoost you go.
Another day we visited Uncle Cody Captain Fireman to see the station and trucks. The kids liked the ambulance best I think and wanted a ride on a gurney (Um, no). Elliet yeilded to our continuous encouragement to try item after item of Cody's uniform. The helmet was heavy enough! You put all his stuff on and it's 50+ lbs!
After all we did there were still a few things left to go do, so we'll hit those in these next days that we are back. Fun Fun in the Summer time...













2 comments:

- Tracy said...

What up with the guy and the beard?

Andrea said...

Click the link. It's Dr. Chevalier. And it's very worth the link. :)