Monday, May 2, 2011

Twins Birthday

Lookie there! It came and went and I didn't even make a wooplah about it here. I confess that it reflects what happened in real life. I have just not been in the mood to fuss over a big celebration and thank heavens the kids are at an age that they didn't care (or notice). Whew.
We still had the kitchen all decorated that morning and made pancakes with cake sprinkles (Haha! I have to laugh at myself. That is so ghetto, is it not? Me stretching the 'cake' fun with the least amount of effort I can muster!)

When asked what treat they wanted to share with their classes at school, donuts was the choice. Awesome! No baking for moi. They were pleased as punch.

The twins Birthday is also special because they share the same Birthday as their Grandmother, Mimi. We usually celebrate with them so they came over for a little family fun. They are always so generous with the kids, it makes our gifts in return seem kind of boring (Lego's vs. Personalized Postage Machine? Hmmm...)
I think Luke's favorite present was the singing Despicable Me Birthday card. Which I still hear in his bedroom late at night. Agh. Look at these cuties. They are getting so big on me.

I thought I would at least make them the cake of their choice, because that would represent love. Well, I don't love them enough to make a Lego Harry Potter for Luke and a replica of Sadie's current favorite stuffed animal kitty. And I thought, as a compromise, that instead I would make cake pops, something I have never attempted. Then I could sort of make something Lego and a kitty head and have a lot less leftovers. Luckily Luke changed his mind to Batman. Can you see the pictures? They make me laugh. Wow, they were horrid looking. Big, lumpy yellow cake balls with bats and Sadie's poor kitty replicated to a swollen mass... some even slid down the sticks. But this is what I love about 7 year olds.
"Mom! Those are awesome!!"
"Oh, thanks, guys! It's because I love you so much!"
We stuck candles in and sang Happy Bday.


Happy eaters.

Right now I so enjoy these kids. Sadie is such a busy, inquisitive girl. She cannot hold still, loves to play and help and is the child who surprises me with very profound questions. She also has a laugh that dances out like butterflies; so contagious you are compelled to join in.
Luke is such a good kid. I love how he still walks up to kids in the supermarket or park and just says hello & invites them to play. He loves to share fun stories and laugh. He is also my music head. He'll hear one song and pick things up so well. I love sharing music with him and anticipate this will be something we share a lot of together.
What a blessing children are! I learn so much from what they teach me.
Happy Birthday to my sweet twins!xoxoxoxoxoxo

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Awww, I love that twinship. And bravo on the cake pops! You much braver than I. Oh, and the sprinkles in the pancakes? I've done chocolate chips...I think the sprinkles look more festive.

Tayva said...

How great keeping up with the trip and with the birthdays! I think the cake pops are awesome--that looks better than cake!! Beautiful kids and beautiful post. XOXOXO