Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Long Boards and Short Memories

Well it's no surprise that I am getting older and it sucks rocks.
I consider myself as aging gracefully until I acknowledge the huge gap of appropriateness that now exists among things I become interested in. Long boarding is my current example. For some reason lately I have wanted to get one. Mind you, I was never a cool tomboy with a skate board or anything so the urge isn't to relive old glory days (um, I had Barbie roller skates) and I already told you I was so-so at snow boarding. So why? I don't know. I am not interested in doing funky tricks. I just want to gliiiide along on summer evenings and think it would be a fun balancing challenge.
So I started looking at long boards. Most of them are corny with super teen graphics (this is the huge gap I was referring to), but a few of them were pretty cool, nay, dare I say, beautiful. So worth sharing to you because I thought you'd appreesh (Mom, I know you'll get this). My faves were these at the top- by Loyal Dean. Gorgeous wood inlay... so pretty. But not for me because I am entry level- I'll need something I won't be afraid to beat up (Let's face it- I'll probably knock out teeth before the month is out).
I did feel better after I confessed this new mania to my brother, Richard. When I told him I was embarrassed, he said, "Nah, it just shows that you like living!", and that made me smile. I hope that's what it is.


And if you find this post completely worthless, hold your wrinkly horses.
Watch this video and you'll get a taste of what I mean (+ the music is The Dodo's. Bonus!).

1 comment:

Tayva said...

Andrea, even at entry level, you'd be great. I can SEE you de-stressing with this. It's not you I worry about, it's the cars! But that being said, here's my recommendation: get yourself some beaters to learn on (can you pick out your graphics or are you skating on Justin Bieber's head or something?) Anyway, enjoy this and get a tan and use make-up for a couple of 'scrapes' if necessary for bragging rights. And get yourself a couple of those AMAZING and beautiful wood inlay board and put them on your wall for art. Everyone will ooh and aah and you'll just say, "oh, yeah--these. I've used these and won really well but I mostly train on my other board."
I have a feeling that most of those in your set will be flat impressed and won't be keeping up with you so they'll never know! Tell them you're going to the Olympics! Tell them you're giving it up once you've mastered it so you can go to law school! Or, I know: tell them it was fun but now you are going to make inlay boards of your own.
Yeah. That's it! XOXO