Friday, September 18, 2009

Jam Yums

During the week before Labor Day, I acquired a large box of peaches from California (Thanks, MJ!).
Oh boy- they were so so so so so good. Some of the best ever. I made a few bad desserts (they were actually really good hand pies and things but bad because I practically ate them all myself) but still had many left that were going to be wasted.
So I decided to can them/bottle them. Something I have never done.
I bought some books, did the research and went to work on the real-deal. No pectin or freezer stuff here, the long-simmering, boiling-the-jars stuff. And it turns out it wasn't so scary. I was afraid to take on this little venture because I thought the things would blow up in my face. I want to watch someone go through the process now that I have done it a couple of times and see if I am really doing it right. Otherwise I'll be gifting beautifully jewel- colored peach botulism in a jar come Christmas. Does anyone else reading this do this often enough? Is it spooky to open something months later and wonder if it will be okay?
But it did get me excited to try doing more things. Too bad the garden didn't produce tons of tomatoes. Some friends of mine have been blogging lately about bottling their family tomato soup recipe and it looks so good.
What to try next? Maybe pickled black widows....

2 comments:

Erica said...

Your Jam was a big hit in Utah. Every tongue that tasted it professed that it was the best peach jam ever made! And, I agree whole heartedly.

Yennigirl said...

Oh, that looks SO good! I LOVE peaches. I was scared to death to try canning/bottling by myself and was surprised at how easy it was! If there is a good seal on the lid - no popping, then you shouldn't worry. I think canning/bottling (whatever you call it) is so satisfying. I am kind of addicted. I can't wait to do more. I found a 3 lb bag of cranberries in my freezer and thought of canning this sauce that we love. The possibilities are endless! By the way, if you are worried about your jam, you better send it to me to taste test. Wish we were closer and we could can together!