Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Running in Rocktober

Stopping only for a bit to update. I don't have much of interest to report for most of you as I am in journal entry mode lately. Getting things in that I won't forget.
After returning from Newport last week, Scott and I took a quick trip to Utah (again!) to get in some family events. Three things occuring the same weekend is what drew us up so soon. Friday night was a show called "Thriller" that I hear is a huge hit in SLC. Hello? It's all about Halloween! So no, I did not think it was weird to have my mom call weeks ago about including us in their ticket count (they brought the production to Provo for this weekend only). Most importantly, this same weekend our nephew, Trevor, was getting baptized. And finally, a play my extremely talented (and the beautiful) sister Julia was performing in this month and we were going Sat. night. But alas- a small snafu. Kings of Leon were in concert on Saturday night here in LV. Hmmmm....well, you can guess by the picture what we decided. I went up and saw Thriller with my family which was really fun (Scott flew in after the show) and then Saturday morning was spent with the wonderful Leavers. I have missed them! It was fun to laugh and catch up. Congrats, Trev! He looked so cute in his slightly large suit and the talks were wonderful. Jacob was born only a few months before him, so I can't help but wonder what it would be like. I live a little vicariously watching Trevor grow up. It was a really special day and worth going up for.
Later that afternoon we flew back home and went right to the show. Not a bad picture from my iPhone, eh? Ok ok... I swiped it from the LV paper but that's almost where we were standing so... my iPhone pic would have almost looked like that. They sounded amazing and the set was awesome- a great mix of their work. I can fulfill my duty to report that Caleb and Jared still look, ahem, acceptable in those tighttight jeans and boots. I guess you know it will be a good show if you smell the 'mj' sweeten the air during the first song. :-)
Now...don't judge too harshly if you think I skipped my sis's play to see some Tennessee. We did have to get back for something on Sunday, too. I was issued a new calling in my ward and am now the RS Music ... something or other. Sweet. Do I like music? jhes. Can I lead? Si. Is it easy? Si si. So not a bad step for a while after what I had. It may force me to practice the piano more so I feel bad to put my family through that, but.... yippee hooray for the mystery calling solved.
I bargained with Scott that if we came back for KOL I wanted to go back up to SLC this weekend to catch my sisters play. Yes... that is right.... I am leaving again. Now you understand why I said my month is flying by. Ah well. I think the long drive alone will do my mind and heart well.
Scott swapped days with me this week so I went for a beautiful run this morning. Not a soul out there, just the moon, music and me. Sparkling stars and blue light were the only witnesses to my glamorous trips and stumbles. But I was thinking about November and how I tried to really notice things every day of that month last year to richen Thanksgiving and Christmas, and it worked. So let's try it again, shall we? Be thinking, be reading (the latest conference talks with me!) and get ready for my challenge to write them down daily in Nov. That means you have two weeks to yell at the lame driver for not using his blinker and then you can soften your heart.
Now... off I go for two fast days to/from Utah....

2 comments:

oh snap said...

Thats a big explaination to why you are REALLY coming into town. Such great birthday gift, you little out-of-towner you.

Kjrsten said...

hey andrea,
remember me anna's lil' sis? Well I just saw KOL myself and I agree with the set comment: A fine sampling of all of their stuff new/old alike (btw loving the new album to pieces!) And the MJ, definitely a witness to the kick off a rockin' show! And funny how you know when a song is a crowd fave, it seems like everyone has to light up for it! Oh, and tight jeans on those boys, yeeeees! OK so why can't you guys move to Portland, we need some cool music lovin' Mormon friends, (all our Mo. buddies only listen to country?! what up with that?) Good thing I have cool siblings who will go to shows with us! Maybe I need to meet some non-members out here?! OK and I thought you might appreciate mine and anna's new little side blog project: haveacuteday.blogspot.com
Anna tells me you were her fave costumer at Nordies, coming from anna that means you have style sista! so check it out yo!

And PS what was the other band from the small show in your post below? I heart the small shows the most!