Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spring in NY

A few of my close friends and I went to NYC last weekend.
Did we have an agenda? Oh yes. Explore, eat, shop. The top three.
We could not have picked a better time to go. The weather was the best it has ever been
during a visit (for me) and I saw more new things. The more I visit this city, the more I love it.
It's so easy to get around and there are always new places to go along with favorites.
Here are some of the things we did.

We walked all over the city (naturally) and one of our routes was the new High Line park.
If you have not heard of it, it is very cool and worth checking out. Read about it here.
To sum up, a young architect turned a long span of abandoned, elevated freight rail line into
a walking path and it's beautifully done. I loved the way the landscaping blends with the modern benches and walkways. He even left the old ties within the plants. So cool.


Ahhh. The food! You don't have to read all the following, but I don't want to forget where we went so I am going to type what I want to remember. Tartine (always yummy), Hampton Chutney was a new discovery and so good (my first Dosa!), Mary's Fish Camp for the worth-every-$32 dollar-bite lobster roll... My favorite meal of the entire trip hands down. It was THAT good. 
LeVain bakery for the best, thick, 'brick' cookies, Cafe Cluny, Magnolia bakery for their non-cupcake items. I think we sampled the entire store with our purchases. Winners were fresh Banana Pudding and their key lime cheesecake.

The shopping is always fun and I always enjoy how much the stores decorate.
The Jcrew had the coolest modern decor. Mom! Check out the HEEUUUGGE Macrame owl!
We ran (well, ran and walked... ha!) through Central Park one morning. Gorgeous.
One of our friends moved to the NYC area almost two years ago and was able to meet up with us for half of the trip. It was so great to see her again. She had a friend who works for the Met, so he got us in first thing on Saturday morning. Wow. That place is incredible. It was my first time and the works there are astounding. Way too much to see in a single trip. We blasted through and saw some amazing things. Here are just a few images to give you an idea.  We hurried up to the modern levels and didn't see any others for around a half hour. The place to ourselves. Amazing!


 Amid the Soho shopping, we fit in my trip to Tinsel Trading Co and MJ Trim. Wow. To have those resources at your fingertips would be like a meth addiction. We also went to a little swap meet just to balance out the new purchases with some old. :) All of us left here with some cool treasures. I discovered a bunch of David Passalaqua sketches and came home with a cool fashion Illustration of his. Bonus!

It was an incredible trip with great friends. All that shopping and eating isn't always as feasible during a family trip, right?

2 comments:

La La Land said...

Just got caught up on your blog. Oh how I LOVE NYC. Every time I go, I hate to leave! So glad you got to see the Met. Such an amazing place. Great pics!!!

Jenny Slingerland said...

It was so fun to spend some time with you guys! Miss you already! Next trip?