Saturday, December 18, 2010

Mallow Out

So the week has been crazy but it's over. The kids are now out of school until after New Years so I was trying to get as much done in order to enjoy Christmas time together next week and relax. Is that even possible the week before Christmas?? I'm going to try.
This week was full of meetings, appointments, visiting teaching, helping with class parties at school and parent teacher conferences. The latter motivated me to get some baking done and delivered. One of the things I made this week were homemade marshmallows. I'm not fond of them, mind you.... S'mores, fluorescent peeps, mud pie cookies or rocky road... blech. Then why would I want to try them? Curiosity. And most people like them, right? Hopefully the receivers enjoy them anyway...Plus, I hear once tasting them, they convert non-mallow lovers into believers. So I googled this recipe by Alton, whipped them up with Luke one night and they worked wonderfully. Since I am giving them away I didn't venture into funky flavors or coating, but I really want to try some clever combo's. Alas, I have enjoyed a few and they do taste great in cocoa & postum. Too bad (or maybe it's good) I won't eat them because I really want to keep playing with it. Think of home made Peeps in the Spring!
Anyway, the point of me posting this was to say: they are really easy, fun to do with kids and taste yummy.

I wanted to share this idea for teacher gifts that I *ahem* sort of swiped from a source online. It is hard coming up with new things every year to give teachers and I always appreciate finding something to inspire me so perhaps this will inspire you in the future. My talented and very nice friend (Thanks, Jackie!) cut these out of vinyl for me so all I had to do was find a big, heavy cup (Ikea), stick them on and fill with pencils. Check!

2 comments:

Aim said...

I have made flavored marshmallow's before. I posted the recipe on my sister and I's joyofjello blog. I have had lots of fun using different kinds of jello. So I tried making some strawberry and lime marshmallows for neighbor treats and they totally flopped. I don't know what I did wrong, they were a gooey mess. Anyway, I'm glad that yours turned out. They look nice and fluffy!

Randi Patch said...

Those mallows look so yummy! I wanted to make some last year, but the closest I got to it, was blogging about them. You really are so crafty and so talented! Loves!