Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Try, You Must

I know Yoda doesn't believe in trying but whatever.
Have you seen these great Star Wars cookie cutters now at Williams Sonoma?
The day I received the email for these I went and bought them. For my son, you ask? Um... sure... yeah, totally. NOPE. For me. Honestly I just want to make a bunch of Storm Troopers. So cool! And while I was there I found this pancake pen thing (more on that below). It is the WS way... you always leave with more than you planned on. Curse them!
So I hurry home and realize I don't have a dependable sugar cookie recipe that holds details in press cookies like this. Details I mock because really you end up covering it with frosting. I guess it's like the Pirate code and they just act as guidelines anyway...
So I use the one in the box and here is what my anticipated Star Wars cookies looked like.
FAIL. What kind of galactic mess is this? What Jedi wrote that recipe? They are horrible! Oh. Oops. I doubled the butter by accident. Defeated, I will have to try them again another day. In the meantime, anyone have a good recipe for this kind of thing?

Now onto the next item...
The Pancake Pen. You know those times when you try to make a fun pancake shape for your kids only to stand there explaining what your blob is supposed to be? "It's a T-Rex! You can't see that?"
For only ten bucks you can fill it with batter for cupcakes, pancakes, etc. and write/draw to your hearts content. Well, I simply had to have it! And, as expected, fruit-of-my-labor pics. It was great fun to play with. I made IDENTIFIABLE stars, hearts, shapes, etc (er, no prehistorics). The last challenge was our names. Plated beautifully here you can read from bottom to top, 'Sadie, Luke, Mmrm and Erviet'.
Go forth and try.


2 comments:

Morgan Moore said...

So funny that you would post this- We bought the pancake molds, cookie cutters & pancake pen about a month ago- just tried the pancake molds this am. they were a little tricky but finally worked- have not tried the cookie cutters yet. You probably already know this, but if you chill the cookies before you put them in the oven (for about 30 min.) it helps them to keep their cut-out shape. xoxo

Yennigirl said...

Butter makes everything better! Double the butter, double the pleasure! I'm sure the next batch will be picture perfect. And that pancake pen is so cool. My kids would love that.