Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sunny San Diego

Scott and I went on a quick weekend getaway to San Diego last weekend. We were there in February for a conference but we didn't have much time to explore so I left not knowing when we'd be back. Little did I know that he had been trying to plan a surfing trip w/ his friend who lives there so we were able to return sooner than I expected.
We had such a great time. San Diego is a cool city and the mid. century architecture made it fun to walk around. And the weather was much better than in Feb! Perfectly sunny and warm.
We caught up with some friends who we love dearly, wandered the Farmers Market in Little Italy, shopped and got to see The Drums in concert. Woot!

But I must say that the highlight of the trip for me was catching the Red Tide in Carlsbad on Friday night. Have you heard of this??? It was AMAZING.
The red algae blooming in the ocean makes the water dirty and red. But when the water is agitated, it activates the bioluminescence and it GLOWS. GLOWS! So at night there are neon blue waves lighting up the coast.

These are not my pics, I found them here.

Check out this video though to see it in action. It is seriously a wonderful phenomenon. Our earth is so beautiful!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Never heard of that before? So cool. I love southern California!!!